Showrooming in the Retail Environment
Showrooming describes the act of examining goods in a brick and mortar store but making the actual purchase online.
In the age of smartphones, tablets and ubiquitous price information, showrooming has become a real issue for traditional retailers.
The above infographic, created in cooperation with the American Association of Advertising Agencies, illustrates how and why consumers engage in showrooming. Understanding the motives behind showrooming is crucial for retailers who want to convert showroomers into buyers.
- Most popular retail websites in the United States as of 3rd quarter 2014, ranked by visitors (in millions)
Monthly unique visitors to U.S. retail websites in 3rd quarter 2014
- Annual B2C e-commerce sales in the United States from 2002 to 2013 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Annual B2C e-commerce sales in the United States 2002-2013
- Annual travel e-commerce sales in the United States from 2002 to 2013 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Annual travel e-commerce revenue in the United States 2002-2013
- China: online shopping market gross merchandise volume 2007-2017China: online shopping market gross merchandise volume 2007-2017
- Global online shopping order value in 2nd quarter 2014, by platformGlobal online shopping order value in 2nd quarter 2014, by platform
- Global online shopping order value in 2nd quarter 2014, by traffic sourceGlobal online shopping order value in 2nd quarter 2014, by traffic source
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens