Showrooming in the Retail Environment
Showrooming describes the act of examining goods in a brick and mortar store but making the actual purchase online.
In the age of smartphones, tablets and ubiquitous price information, showrooming has become a real issue for traditional retailers.
The above infographic, created in cooperation with the American Association of Advertising Agencies, illustrates how and why consumers engage in showrooming. Understanding the motives behind showrooming is crucial for retailers who want to convert showroomers into buyers.
- Net sales revenue of Amazon from 2004 to 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Annual net revenue of Amazon 2004-2014
- U.S. online retail spending on Thanksgiving Day, Black Friday and Cyber Monday from 2008 to 2014
Online retail spending on Thanksgiving, Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014
- Most popular retail websites in the United States as of 3rd quarter 2014, ranked by visitors (in millions)
Monthly unique visitors to U.S. retail websites in 3rd quarter 2014
- China: online shopping market gross merchandise volume 2007-2017China: online shopping market gross merchandise volume 2007-2017
- Global online shopping order value in 4th quarter 2014, by platformGlobal online shopping order value in 4th quarter 2014, by platform
- Global online shopping order value in 4th quarter 2014, by traffic sourceGlobal online shopping order value in 4th quarter 2014, by traffic source
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens