Android May Have Peaked in the United States
After a long period of sustained growth, Android's market share in the U.S. smartphone market has recently taken a slight hit. According to recent comScore data, Android's market share dropped to 51.7 percent in the three-month period ending February 2013. This marks the third consecutive decline of Android's market share since hitting a peak of 53.7 percent in the three months ending November 2012.
Google's mobile operating system is still the number one smartphone platform by a relatively comfortable margin, but Apple's iOS has regained some lost ground in the past few months. Android developers probably won't be too worried by this short-term trend though. The imminent release of Samsung's new flagship model, the Galaxy S4, will likely re-accelerate Android's growth in the U.S. and elsewhere. Moreover, Apple’s momentum is likely to slow down in anticipation of the next iPhone refresh which isn’t expected until later this year.
- Global smartphone sales to end users from 1st quarter 2009 to 3rd quarter 2014, by operating system (in million units)
Global smartphone sales by operating system 2009-2014, by quarter
- Global tablet shipments from 2010 to 2014, by operating system (in million units)
Global tablet shipments by operating system per quarter 2010-2014
- Global market share held by tablet operating systems from 2010 to 2014, by quarter
Global market share held by tablet operating systems 2010-2014, by quarter
- Reasons for declining magazine readership in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012Reasons for declining magazine readership in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012
- UK general election: party most suited to tackle housing issue 2015UK general election: party most suited to tackle housing issue 2015
- UK general election: party most suited to deal with welfare benefits 2015UK general election: party most suited to deal with welfare benefits 2015
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens