Only a Third of the World's Population Is Online
"For every person online, there are two who are not. By the end of the decade, everyone on Earth will be connected. #NewDigitalAge"
The above statement was tweeted by Google chairman Eric Schmidt on Saturday, April 13. Given Schmidt’s prominence and the boldness of his claim, it naturally sparked a lively discussion as to whether it would be possible (and desirable) for the entire world population to be online by 2020.
Considering the fact that, as of 2012, only a good third of the world’s 7 billion people were online, it seems unlikely that Schmidt’s prediction will come true. What’s more important, millions of those 7 billion people are suffering from malnourishment and lacking access to clean drinking water, so providing them with internet access shouldn’t and probably won’t be a priority in the next few years.
What shouldn’t be forgotten though, is the role that mobile devices could play in connecting people from developing countries. Mobile phones have helped people overcome infrastructural deficits in the past (e.g. a large part of small financial transactions in Africa are carried out via mobile phone), and they could help provide many people with internet access as well.
- SmartphonesPeople Rarely Unplug From Technology
This chart shows how often U.S. Internet users unplug.
- Internet Usage in ChinaTencent's Impressive Line Of Messaging + Social Platforms
This chart shows the growth of Tencent's instant messaging and social media platforms.
- Internet usage worldwideThe U.S. Tops Global Spam Mail Rankings
This chart shows the percent of all spam in Q2 2014 originating in each country.
- Online ShoppingBritish Adults Favour Physical Stores
This chart shows primary shopping/purchasing channels among adults in Great Britain.
- AndroidMobile Web: Android Surpasses Apple
This chart shows the global share of iOS and Android mobile/tablet traffic.
- Market value of the largest internet companies worldwide as of May 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Market value of the largest internet companies worldwide in 2014
- Number of internet users in selected countries as of February 2014 (in millions)
Number of internet users worldwide in February 2014, by country
- Number of worldwide internet users from 2000 to 2014 (in millions)
Global number of worldwide internet users 2000-2014
- Preferences of hotel guests for complimentary amenitiesPreferences of hotel guests for complimentary amenities
- Hotel guest preference of pampering giftsHotel guest preference of pampering gifts
- Decision about a destination according to the information sourceDecision about a destination according to the information source
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter