Samsung Extends Its Lead in the Smartphone Market
The global smartphone market grew 42 percent in the first quarter of 2013 as smartphones outshipped feature phones for the first time. In the three months that ended March 31, 216.2 million smartphones were shipped as opposed to just 202.4 million feature phones.
As the overall market grew, Samsung was able to strengthen its position as the undisputed market leader. The Korean electronics giant shipped more than 70 million smartphones in the first quarter, a 60 percent increase over last year's March quarter. What's truly astonishing is the fact that Samsung shipped more smartphones in the first quarter than the next four vendors did combined. That includes former market leader Apple, who shipped 37.4 million iPhones and showed the weakest relative growth among the Top 5 vendors.
LG Electronics managed to return to the Top 5, mainly thanks to strong sales of the Google-branded Nexus 4, which is manufactured by the Korean company. Chinese vendors Huawei and ZTE complete the Top 5 with 9.9 and 9.1 million shipped units, respectively.
- SmartphonesApple and Samsung Lose Ground to Chinese Vendors
This chart shows global market share of the world's leading smartphone vendors in Q2 2014.
- SmartphonesApple Beats Competitors In Smartphone Brand Loyalty
This chart shows the brand retention rate for selected smartphone vendors.
- Smartphone market in ChinaApple Fails to Gain Traction in China's Smartphone Market
This chart breaks down smartphone sales in four major markets between March and May 2014, by operating system.
- TabletsThe iPad Still Dominates Tablet Usage
This chart shows the Top 8 tablet brands in North America, based on their share of tablet-based web usage in April 2014.
- SmartphonesPhablets Account for One Third of Global Smartphone Shipments
This chart shows a breakdown of global smartphone shipments in the first quarter of 2014 by screen size.
- Global Apple iPhone sales from 3rd quarter 2007 to 3rd quarter 2014 (in million units)
Global Apple iPhone sales 2007-2014, by quarter
- Number of apps available in leading app stores as of July 2014
Number of apps available in leading app stores as of July 2014
- Cumulative number of apps downloaded from the Apple App Store from June 2008 to June 2014 (in billions)
Apple App Store: number of downloads as of June 2014
- Apple vs. Samsung: U.S. smartphone market share Q1 2010-Q1 2012Apple vs. Samsung: U.S. smartphone market share Q1 2010-Q1 2012
- Global market share held by smartphone vendors 2012-2013Global market share held by smartphone vendors 2012-2013
- Global market share held by smartphone vendors 2009-2014, by quarterGlobal market share held by smartphone vendors 2009-2014, by quarter
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter