Samsung Extends Its Lead in the Smartphone Market
The global smartphone market grew 42 percent in the first quarter of 2013 as smartphones outshipped feature phones for the first time. In the three months that ended March 31, 216.2 million smartphones were shipped as opposed to just 202.4 million feature phones.
As the overall market grew, Samsung was able to strengthen its position as the undisputed market leader. The Korean electronics giant shipped more than 70 million smartphones in the first quarter, a 60 percent increase over last year's March quarter. What's truly astonishing is the fact that Samsung shipped more smartphones in the first quarter than the next four vendors did combined. That includes former market leader Apple, who shipped 37.4 million iPhones and showed the weakest relative growth among the Top 5 vendors.
LG Electronics managed to return to the Top 5, mainly thanks to strong sales of the Google-branded Nexus 4, which is manufactured by the Korean company. Chinese vendors Huawei and ZTE complete the Top 5 with 9.9 and 9.1 million shipped units, respectively.
- Global Apple iPhone sales from 3rd quarter 2007 to 1st quarter 2015 (in million units)
Global Apple iPhone sales 2007-2015, by quarter
- Global smartphone sales to end users from 1st quarter 2009 to 3rd quarter 2014, by operating system (in million units)
Global smartphone sales by operating system 2009-2014, by quarter
- Global market share held by leading smartphone vendors from 4th quarter 2009 to 3rd quarter 2014
Global market share held by smartphone vendors 2009-2014, by quarter
- Apple vs. Samsung: U.S. smartphone market share Q1 2010-Q1 2012Apple vs. Samsung: U.S. smartphone market share Q1 2010-Q1 2012
- Smartphones: global market share forecast 2011-2017, by countrySmartphones: global market share forecast 2011-2017, by country
- Global market share held by smartphone vendors 2012-2013Global market share held by smartphone vendors 2012-2013
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens