Samsung Extends Its Lead in the Smartphone Market
The global smartphone market grew 42 percent in the first quarter of 2013 as smartphones outshipped feature phones for the first time. In the three months that ended March 31, 216.2 million smartphones were shipped as opposed to just 202.4 million feature phones.
As the overall market grew, Samsung was able to strengthen its position as the undisputed market leader. The Korean electronics giant shipped more than 70 million smartphones in the first quarter, a 60 percent increase over last year's March quarter. What's truly astonishing is the fact that Samsung shipped more smartphones in the first quarter than the next four vendors did combined. That includes former market leader Apple, who shipped 37.4 million iPhones and showed the weakest relative growth among the Top 5 vendors.
LG Electronics managed to return to the Top 5, mainly thanks to strong sales of the Google-branded Nexus 4, which is manufactured by the Korean company. Chinese vendors Huawei and ZTE complete the Top 5 with 9.9 and 9.1 million shipped units, respectively.
Cumulative number of apps downloaded from the Apple App Store from July 2008 to June 2015 (in billions)
Apple App Store: number of downloads as of June 2015
Number of apps available in leading app stores as of July 2015
Number of apps available in leading app stores 2015
Global market share held by leading smartphone vendors from 4th quarter 2009 to 1st quarter 2015
Global market share held by smartphone vendors 2009-2015, by quarter
- Global market share held by smartphone vendors 2012-2014Global market share held by smartphone vendors 2012-2014
- Global market share held by smartphone vendors 2009-2015, by quarterGlobal market share held by smartphone vendors 2009-2015, by quarter
- Global market share held by smartphone operating systems 2009-2013, by quarterGlobal market share held by smartphone operating systems 2009-2013, by quarter
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens