iOS Stagnates as Android Steams Ahead
Android continues to dominate the global smartphone market. In the first quarter of 2013, 74.4 percent of all smartphones sold to end users were running Google's open operating system, up from 56.9 percent a year ago. Apple's iOS remains a distant second with a market share of 18.2 percent.
The smartphone platform game is increasingly shaping up as a two horse race, with Android and iOS devices accounting for 92.6 percent of global smartphone sales in the first three months of 2013.
- Smartphone market in ChinaApple Fails to Gain Traction in China's Smartphone Market
This chart breaks down smartphone sales in four major markets between March and May 2014, by operating system.
- AndroidAndroid Wear Smartwatches Work With Less Than 25% of Android Devices
This chart shows active devices running Android by version and smartwatch compatibility.
- AndroidAndroid Dominates UK Smartphone Sales
This chart shows the smartphone sales share in the UK by operating system.
- Mobile App UsageHow Many Apps U.S. Smartphone Owners Use Per Month
This chart shows how many apps U.S. smartphone owners use per month and how much time they spend with apps.
- Mobile App UsageMobile Is Taking Over Digital Media Usage
This chart breaks down the time spent with digital media in selected content categories in the U.S. in May 2014, by platform.
- Cumulative number of apps downloaded from the Apple App Store from June 2008 to June 2014 (in billions)
Apple App Store: number of downloads as of June 2014
- Global market share held by leading smartphone vendors from 4th quarter 2009 to 1st quarter 2014
Global market share held by smartphone vendors 2009-2014, by quarter
- Global Apple iPhone sales from 3rd quarter 2007 to 2nd quarter 2014 (in million units)
Global Apple iPhone sales Q3 2007-Q2 2014
- Forecast: global market share held by smartphone operating systems 2013-2017Forecast: global market share held by smartphone operating systems 2013-2017
- Forecast: smartphone subscribers worldwide 2009-2015, by OSForecast: smartphone subscribers worldwide 2009-2015, by OS
- U.S. market share held by smartphone platforms 2012-2014, by monthU.S. market share held by smartphone platforms 2012-2014, by month
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter