iOS Stagnates as Android Steams Ahead
Android continues to dominate the global smartphone market. In the first quarter of 2013, 74.4 percent of all smartphones sold to end users were running Google's open operating system, up from 56.9 percent a year ago. Apple's iOS remains a distant second with a market share of 18.2 percent.
The smartphone platform game is increasingly shaping up as a two horse race, with Android and iOS devices accounting for 92.6 percent of global smartphone sales in the first three months of 2013.
- Global market share held by leading smartphone vendors from 4th quarter 2009 to 2nd quarter 2014
Global market share held by smartphone vendors 2009-2014, by quarter
- Global Apple iPhone sales from 3rd quarter 2007 to 3rd quarter 2014 (in million units)
Global Apple iPhone sales 2007-2014, by quarter
- Number of apps available in leading app stores as of July 2014
Number of apps available in leading app stores as of July 2014
- Forecast: global market share held by smartphone operating systems 2013-2017Forecast: global market share held by smartphone operating systems 2013-2017
- Forecast: smartphone subscribers worldwide 2009-2015, by OSForecast: smartphone subscribers worldwide 2009-2015, by OS
- U.S. market share held by smartphone platforms 2012-2014, by monthU.S. market share held by smartphone platforms 2012-2014, by month
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter