Wind Outpaces Nuclear in China
China’s push to install more wind energy capacity has started paying off. Data from the China Wind Energy Association (CWEA) revealed that in 2012, wind energy overtook nuclear power for the very first time to become the country’s third largest source of electricity. The leading two are coal and hydro-electric power.
Since 2007, electricity generation through nuclear power has risen by approximately ten percent annually. In comparison, the development of wind energy has grown by an astonishing 80 percent per year.
Wind farms across China produced 100.4 terawatt hours of electricity in 2012 – that represents two percent more than that generated by nuclear power. Ambitious renewable energy targets have spurred the growth of China’s wind energy initiative, and the gap with nuclear power is expected to widen significantly over the coming years.
- Wind Power MarketWind Power - A Global Growth Market
This chart illustrates key facts about the global state of wind power.
- ElectricityChina Leads the Way in Renewable Energy Investment
This chart shows renewable energy investment in 2011 and 2012 (in billion U.S. dollars).
- Renewable EnergyOffshore Wind Power Gaining Pace
This chart shows world cumulative installed offshore wind power capacity and net annual addition (in megawatts).
- ElectricityUnited States Still No. 1 For Nuclear Energy
This chart shows cumulative installed nuclear capacity in 2012 (in megawatts).
- China: export of goods from 2003 to 2013 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Export of goods from China 2013
- China: growth rate of real gross domestic product (GDP) from 2009 to 2019
Gross domestic product (GDP) growth rate in China 2009-2019
- China: Total population from 2009 to 2019 (in millions)
Total population of China 2009-2019
- Nuclear energy consumption 1999-2013Nuclear energy consumption 1999-2013
- Countries with highest share of nuclear energy consumption worldwide 2013Countries with highest share of nuclear energy consumption worldwide 2013
- Wind energy - the total installed capacity worldwide 2000-2013Wind energy - the total installed capacity worldwide 2000-2013
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter