Social Networking Is the No. 1 Online Activity in the U.S.
Three hours and six minutes. That’s the average time American adults spent online each day in the past year, up from two hours 34 in 2010. The internet is now firmly established as the second most important medium in our lives, as the TV remains the number 1 with more than five hours of everyday use.
According to GfK’s data, social networking takes up the most of Americans’ online time. On average, Americans spent 37 minutes per day with services such as Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn in the past year. Email is the second most popular online activity in the U.S. with an average use of 33 minutes per day. Surprisingly, Americans spent more time watching online videos than they did using search engines last year. With growing adoption of services such as Netflix and Hulu, online video consumption has increased steeply in the past three years, from just 10 minutes per day in 2010 to 24 minutes in 2012.
Leading social networks worldwide as of August 2015, ranked by number of active users (in millions)
Global social networks ranked by number of users 2015
Number of monthly active Facebook users worldwide as of 2nd quarter 2015 (in millions)
Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2015
Number of social network users worldwide from 2010 to 2018 (in billions)
Number of global social network users 2010-2018
- Number of U.S. smartphone social network users 2011-2017Number of U.S. smartphone social network users 2011-2017
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens