Google Chrome Leaves Competition in the Dust
Less than five years after its first release in September 2008, Google Chrome has established itself as the no. 1 web browser in the world.
According to web tracking firm StatCounter, Chrome's global market share in June 2013 was 43 percent, up from just 33 percent a year ago. At 25 percent market share, Internet Explorer remains the second most popular browser in the world. Microsoft's browser retains a particularly strong position in North America, where it is almost head to head with Chrome. Despite its allegedly inferior performance, many workers in the U.S. are still obliged to use Internet Explorer at work, but tend to switch to the competition in private life. This theory is supported by StatCounter's data, which shows that Microsoft's usage share dips on weekends while other browsers, particularly Apple's Safari, spike upwards on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Internet usage worldwideChrome on the Rise
This infographics illustrates the market share of web browsers on different continents in December 2011.
- Internet usage worldwideGoogle's Chrome Conquers the World
According to web-tracking firm StatCounter Chrome is now the world's number 1 browser. Check out our browser world map to see how Chrome and co. are doing on your continent.
- GoogleThe Steady Rise of Google Chrome
This chart shows global market share of the world's leading web browsers since September 2008.
- MicrosoftIE, the Safest Browser by Far!?
The graphic shows the share of blocked malware-infected websites by browser.
- Mobile App UsageMobile Apps Set Out to Challenge Television
This chart shows the average time Americans spend interacting with different media in the United States (in minutes per day).
- Market value of the largest internet companies worldwide as of May 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Market value of the largest internet companies worldwide in 2014
- Number of internet users in selected countries as of February 2014 (in millions)
Number of internet users worldwide in February 2014, by country
- Number of worldwide internet users from 2000 to 2014 (in millions)
Global number of worldwide internet users 2000-2014
- Market share held by web browsers in the U.S. 2012-2014, by monthMarket share held by web browsers in the U.S. 2012-2014, by month
- Most popular browsers in Canada in July 2014, by market shareMost popular browsers in Canada in July 2014, by market share
- Global market share held by web browsers as of September 2013Global market share held by web browsers as of September 2013
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter