Google Chrome Leaves Competition in the Dust
Less than five years after its first release in September 2008, Google Chrome has established itself as the no. 1 web browser in the world.
According to web tracking firm StatCounter, Chrome's global market share in June 2013 was 43 percent, up from just 33 percent a year ago. At 25 percent market share, Internet Explorer remains the second most popular browser in the world. Microsoft's browser retains a particularly strong position in North America, where it is almost head to head with Chrome. Despite its allegedly inferior performance, many workers in the U.S. are still obliged to use Internet Explorer at work, but tend to switch to the competition in private life. This theory is supported by StatCounter's data, which shows that Microsoft's usage share dips on weekends while other browsers, particularly Apple's Safari, spike upwards on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Number of internet users in selected countries as of March 2015 (in millions)
Number of internet users worldwide 2015, by country
- Average duration of monthly internet usage per user in selected countries as of 4th quarter 2014 (in hours)
Duration of monthly internet usage in selected countries 2014
- Market value of the largest internet companies worldwide as of May 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Market value of the largest internet companies worldwide in 2014
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens