Americans Talk on Their Mobile Phones More Than Anyone Else
Today's mobile phones are much more than just phones. They are little computers with countless features and making phone calls is just one of those features. The time we spend interacting with our phones has steeply increased over the past few years. However, the time we spend actually talking on our phones is declining.
In the United States, where people spent more time talking on mobile phones than anywhere else, the number of outgoing voice minutes per subscriber declined more than 20 percent since its peak in 2007. Not coincidentally, 2007 was the year the first iPhone came out and changed the way we interact with our phones possibly forever.
As faster wireless networks enable us to use IP-based voice and messaging services such as Skype, Facetime and Whatsapp, wireless carriers have witnessed a decline in voice minutes, formerly their main source of revenue. As a consequence, many operators are now bundling telephony in their general access offers and users are no longer billed for the minutes, but rather for the amount of data they use.
In the United States and Canada, where unlimited call plans have been common for quite a while, people spend much more time talking on their phones than anywhere else. In 2011, mobile subscribers from the U.S. and Canada on average spent almost 6 hours per month on outgoing phone calls. That's almost three times as much as in the UK and more than four times as much as in Germany. It will be interesting to see how these numbers evolve over the next few years, as mobile phones increasingly replace land lines in many countries and smartphones continue to change the way we communicate.
- Global Apple iPhone sales from 3rd quarter 2007 to 1st quarter 2015 (in million units)
Global Apple iPhone sales 2007-2015, by quarter
- Global smartphone sales to end users from 1st quarter 2009 to 3rd quarter 2014, by operating system (in million units)
Global smartphone sales by operating system 2009-2014, by quarter
- Global market share held by leading smartphone vendors from 4th quarter 2009 to 3rd quarter 2014
Global market share held by smartphone vendors 2009-2014, by quarter
- Forecast: global consumer internet subsegment traffic 2013-2018Forecast: global consumer internet subsegment traffic 2013-2018
- Countries ranked by the number of VoIP subscribers 2013Countries ranked by the number of VoIP subscribers 2013
- Number of VoIP subscribers worldwide 2011-2013, by quarterNumber of VoIP subscribers worldwide 2011-2013, by quarter
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens