PayPal Drives eBay's Growth
As the planned spin-off of PayPal into a separate company nears, eBay’s payment service continues to drive the company’s revenue growth. In the fourth quarter of 2014, revenue of the payments division amounted to $2.16 billion, up 18% from the same period in 2013.
Meanwhile eBay’s core business, the marketplace segment, appears to stagnate as revenue growth slowed to 1%, the lowest it’s been in five years. At $2.33 billion, the marketplace division remains eBay’s largest source of revenue for now, but we might see PayPal overtaking it before the split is completed in the second half of 2015.
In terms of revenue growth, PayPal has outperformed the rest of the company for a while now. The payments division accounted for roughly two-thirds of additional revenue in 2014 and for more than 80% of eBay’s sales growth in the latest quarter.
- U.S. online retail spending on Thanksgiving Day, Black Friday and Cyber Monday from 2008 to 2014
Online retail spending on Thanksgiving, Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014
- Most popular retail websites in the United States as of 3rd quarter 2014, ranked by visitors (in millions)
Monthly unique visitors to U.S. retail websites in 3rd quarter 2014
- Annual B2C e-commerce sales in the United States from 2002 to 2013 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Annual B2C e-commerce sales in the United States 2002-2013
- Average monthly U.S. visitors to eBay and PayPal in March 2013, by platformAverage monthly U.S. visitors to eBay and PayPal in March 2013, by platform
- PayPal's total payment volume as of 4th quarter 2014PayPal's total payment volume as of 4th quarter 2014
- PayPal's annual mobile payment volume from 2008 to 2013PayPal's annual mobile payment volume from 2008 to 2013
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens