PayPal Eclipses eBay's Core Business Prior to Spin-Off
As the planned spin-off of PayPal into a separate company nears, eBay’s payment service continues to drive the company’s growth. In the first quarter of 2015, revenue of the payments division amounted to $2.11 billion, up 14% from the same period in 2014.
Meanwhile eBay’s core business, the marketplaces division, saw revenues decline for the first time in years and is now no longer eBay's biggest source of revenue. With sales of $2.07 billion, eBay's namesake auction site and other marketplaces owned by the company now generate less revenue than the soon-to-be spun-off PayPal does.
While the latest results don't necessarily spell doom for eBay's future without PayPal, they won't do much good in silencing the doubts in the company's growth prospects as a stand-alone company either.
- Annual travel e-commerce sales in the United States from 2002 to 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Annual travel e-commerce sales in the United States 2002-2014
- Annual desktop B2C e-commerce sales in the United States from 2002 to 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Annual B2C e-commerce sales in the United States 2002-2014
- Most popular retail websites in the United States as of March 2015, ranked by visitors (in millions)
Monthly unique visitors to U.S. retail websites 2015
- PayPal: annual mobile payment volume 2008-2014PayPal: annual mobile payment volume 2008-2014
- PayPal: active registered user accounts as of 1st quarter 2015PayPal: active registered user accounts as of 1st quarter 2015
- eBay's annual net income from 2004 to 2014eBay's annual net income from 2004 to 2014
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens