PayPal Could Soon Be eBay's Biggest Source Of Revenue
Thanks to strong growth of its online payments business, eBay reported better-than-expected second quarter results yesterday. Net income increased to $676 million from $640 million in the same quarter a year ago. Overall revenue climbed 13% to $4.37 billion, as eBay's payments business once again outgrew the company's core business, the marketplace, by a wide margin.
The PayPal unit now accounts for 45% of eBay's net revenue and is on track to become the company's main revenue source in the near future. eBay's marketplace business was hurt by a severe security breach in the past quarter, as a cyberattack left the company no choice but to ask its 145 million users to change their passwords.
- Annual B2C e-commerce sales in the United States from 2002 to 2013 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Annual B2C e-commerce sales in the United States 2002-2013
- Annual travel e-commerce sales in the United States from 2002 to 2013 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Annual travel e-commerce revenue in the United States 2002-2013
- Most popular retail websites in the United States as of 1st quarter 2014, ranked by visitors (in millions)
Monthly unique visitors to U.S. retail websites in 1st quarter 2014
- PayPal's annual mobile payment volume from 2008 to 2013PayPal's annual mobile payment volume from 2008 to 2013
- MercadoLibre marketplace merchandise value 2008 to 2012, in million U.S. dollarsMercadoLibre marketplace merchandise value 2008 to 2012, in million U.S. dollars
- PayPal's total payment volume as of 2nd quarter 2014PayPal's total payment volume as of 2nd quarter 2014
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens