Strategies people use to be less visible online
On a lot of websites, using free email or other services comes at another price: long before the revelations of Edward Snowden about the NSA, Google, Facebook & Co. have been tracking and storing user data.
A study by the Pew Research Center has inquired about the strategies people use to decrease their visibility online. As can be seen in the chart below, 64% of adult internet users cleared their cookies and browser history to mask their online identity.
14% of users take more drastic measures and encypt their communications or use services that allow for anonymous browsing.
Number of worldwide internet users from 2000 to 2015 (in millions)
Global number of worldwide internet users 2005-2015
Market capitalization of the largest internet companies worldwide as of May 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Market value of the largest internet companies worldwide 2015
Number of internet users in selected countries as of March 2015 (in millions)
Number of internet users worldwide 2015, by country
- Forecast: revenue financial transaction activities US 2009-2020Forecast: revenue financial transaction activities US 2009-2020
- Forecast: revenue power-driven hand tool manufacture UK 2009-2020Forecast: revenue power-driven hand tool manufacture UK 2009-2020
- Forecast: revenue organic chemical manufacture - other Germany 2008-2020Forecast: revenue organic chemical manufacture - other Germany 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue power-driven hand tool manufacture Germany 2008-2020Forecast: revenue power-driven hand tool manufacture Germany 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue real estate buying and selling Germany 2008-2020Forecast: revenue real estate buying and selling Germany 2008-2020
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens