Strategies people use to be less visible online
On a lot of websites, using free email or other services comes at another price: long before the revelations of Edward Snowden about the NSA, Google, Facebook & Co. have been tracking and storing user data.
A study by the Pew Research Center has inquired about the strategies people use to decrease their visibility online. As can be seen in the chart below, 64% of adult internet users cleared their cookies and browser history to mask their online identity.
14% of users take more drastic measures and encypt their communications or use services that allow for anonymous browsing.
- Market value of the largest internet companies worldwide as of May 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Market value of the largest internet companies worldwide in 2014
- Number of internet users in selected countries as of February 2014 (in millions)
Number of internet users worldwide in February 2014, by country
- Number of worldwide internet users from 2000 to 2014 (in millions)
Global number of worldwide internet users 2000-2014
- Opinion of Americans on whether Edward Snowden's disclosures have harmed U.S. securityOpinion of Americans on whether Edward Snowden's disclosures have harmed U.S. security
- Opinion of Americans on the legal charges against Edward SnowdenOpinion of Americans on the legal charges against Edward Snowden
- Facebook: user data requests from federal agencies and governments H2 2013Facebook: user data requests from federal agencies and governments H2 2013
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter