The LP is Back!
The LP continued its unlikely comeback in 2013, with vinyl album sales in the United States reaching 6 million units! As opposed to CD sales which declined 14.5 percent and digital album sales which stagnated, LP sales grew by 32 percent from 4.55 million units in 2012. Overall album sales suffered an 8.4 percent decline, slumping to 289.4 million from 316 million units in 2012. Last year's music sales have likely been negatively affected by the growing adoption of streaming services such as Spotify and Pandora. As a consequence digital music sales declined for the first time since Nielsen SoundScan started measuring digital sales.
Between 2002 and 2012, Vinyl LP sales in the United States had already increased by 250 percent , while total recorded music shipments had dropped nearly 50 percent. Unfortunately, the resurgence of the LP only has a marginal effect on the industry as a whole. In 2013, vinyl albums accounted for just two percent of total album sales in the U.S., while CDs (57.2%) and digital albums (40.6%) accounted for the lion's share of sales.
- Most Grammy Award-winning individuals of all time as of 2015
Most Grammy-winning individuals of all time
- The most successful music tours worldwide in 2014, based on gross revenue (in million U.S. dollars)
The most successful music tours worldwide 2014
- Most popular songs in the United States in 2013, based on internet streams
Most popular songs in the U.S. in 2013, based on internet streams
- Global digital music revenue from 2004 to 2014Global digital music revenue from 2004 to 2014
- Digital music revenue worldwide 2008-2014, by formatDigital music revenue worldwide 2008-2014, by format
- Global digital music industry revenue 2014-2019Global digital music industry revenue 2014-2019
- Forecast: sales paint and wallpaper stores US 2008-2020Forecast: sales paint and wallpaper stores US 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue temporary help services US 2008-2020Forecast: revenue temporary help services US 2008-2020
- Forecast: shipment value pulp milling US 2008-2020Forecast: shipment value pulp milling US 2008-2020
- Forecast: shipment value sanitary paper product manufacture US 2008-2020Forecast: shipment value sanitary paper product manufacture US 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue elderly and disabeled person services US 2008-2020Forecast: revenue elderly and disabeled person services US 2008-2020
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens