Consumers Still Trust Traditional Media Advertising Over Online Ads
Newspaper advertising is the most-trusted form of paid media advertising in North America. 63 percent of the North American respondents in a global Nielsen survey among 29,000 consumers stated that they trust newspaper ads. Newspapers just edge out magazine and TV ads, which are trusted by 62 and 61 percent of the polled consumers. The most trusted form of paid online advertising is search engine advertising, which is considered trustworthy by just 44 percent of the respondents.
The results clearly indicate that consumers still have trust issues with online ads, although it needs to be noted that the perception of digital advertising has greatly improved over the past few years. Both search engine ads and online banner ads saw double-digit increases in consumer trust since 2007, indicating that consumers are gradually getting used to these new forms of advertising.
Aside from paid media advertising, unpaid or earned advertising remains the most effective way to reach consumers: personal recommendations and online consumer reviews are considered trustworthy by 82 and 68 percent of the North American respondents, respectively.
- NewspapersThe Internet Won't Save U.S. Newspapers
This chart shows the U.S. newspaper advertising revenue.
- Online AdvertisingGoogle Still King
This illustrates the market share of leading internet portals in the global online advertising market. Google's market share grew from 34.9 percent in 2006 to 44.1 percent in 2010.
- NewspapersThe Age of the Internet
This infographic illustrates a forecast of newspaper and internet advertising expenditure from 2011 to 2014. Internet ad expenditure is expected to surpass newspaper advertising in 2013.
- MicrosoftMicrosoft's Money Burning Business
This chart shows the operating income of Microsoft's online services segment.
- Advertising in the U.S.Online Advertising Continues Its Rise
This chart shows the quarterly growth of U.S. online advertising revenue since 2004. To put the rise of online ads in perspective the chart includes print advertising revenue of U.S. newspapers and TV ad revenue as well.
- Market Research: Global distribution of revenues by method of surveyMarket Research: Global distribution of revenues by method of survey
- Distribution of U.S. advertising spending in 2012, by mediumDistribution of U.S. advertising spending in 2012, by medium
- Digital advertising spending in the U.S. in 2012, by categoryDigital advertising spending in the U.S. in 2012, by category
- Advertising spending in the United States from 2011 to 2018 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Advertising spending in the U.S. 2011-2018
- Online advertising revenue in the United States from the 1st quarter 2007 to the 1st quarter 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Quarterly online advertising revenue in the U.S. 2007-2014
- Advertising spending in the United States from 2011 to 2017, by medium (in billion U.S. dollars)
Advertising spending in the U.S. from 2011 to 2017, by medium
- Marketing strategies by hotels during the economic crisisMarketing strategies by hotels during the economic crisis
- Digital advertising expenditure in the United Kingdom (UK) 2010-2014, by mediumDigital advertising expenditure in the United Kingdom (UK) 2010-2014, by medium
- Global online advertising spending from 2000 to 2016Global online advertising spending from 2000 to 2016
- Leading product brands with the most fans on Facebook in July 2014 (in millions)
Most popular product brands on Facebook in July 2014
- Leading technology brands with the most Facebook fans in July 2014 (in millions)
Technology brand pages with the most fans in July 2014
- Leading beauty brands with the most followers on Facebook as of May 2014 (in millions)
Facebook: number of followers of popular beauty brands 2014
- Advertising expenditure in the world's largest ad markets in 2013 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Advertising expenditure in the world's largest ad markets in 2013
- Share of digital in total advertising spending in Canada from 2012 to 2018
Share of digital in ad spend in Canada 2012-2018
- Leading agency brands in Canada in 2012, by billings (in million Canadian dollars)
Leading agency brands in Canada in 2012, by billings
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter