Consumers Still Trust Traditional Media Advertising Over Online Ads
Newspaper advertising is the most-trusted form of paid media advertising in North America. 63 percent of the North American respondents in a global Nielsen survey among 29,000 consumers stated that they trust newspaper ads. Newspapers just edge out magazine and TV ads, which are trusted by 62 and 61 percent of the polled consumers. The most trusted form of paid online advertising is search engine advertising, which is considered trustworthy by just 44 percent of the respondents.
The results clearly indicate that consumers still have trust issues with online ads, although it needs to be noted that the perception of digital advertising has greatly improved over the past few years. Both search engine ads and online banner ads saw double-digit increases in consumer trust since 2007, indicating that consumers are gradually getting used to these new forms of advertising.
Aside from paid media advertising, unpaid or earned advertising remains the most effective way to reach consumers: personal recommendations and online consumer reviews are considered trustworthy by 82 and 68 percent of the North American respondents, respectively.
- Market Research: Global distribution of revenues by method of surveyMarket Research: Global distribution of revenues by method of survey
- Distribution of U.S. advertising spending in 2012, by mediumDistribution of U.S. advertising spending in 2012, by medium
- Digital advertising spending in the U.S. in 2012, by categoryDigital advertising spending in the U.S. in 2012, by category
- Advertising spending in the United States from 2011 to 2018 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Advertising spending in the U.S. 2011-2018
- Online advertising revenue in the United States from the 1st quarter 2007 to the 1st quarter 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Quarterly online advertising revenue in the U.S. 2007-2014
- Advertising spending in the United States from 2011 to 2017, by medium (in billion U.S. dollars)
Advertising spending in the U.S. from 2011 to 2017, by medium
- Marketing strategies by hotels during the economic crisisMarketing strategies by hotels during the economic crisis
- Digital advertising expenditure in the United Kingdom (UK) 2010-2014, by mediumDigital advertising expenditure in the United Kingdom (UK) 2010-2014, by medium
- Global online advertising spending from 2000 to 2016Global online advertising spending from 2000 to 2016
- Advertising spending of selected restaurants in the United States in 2013 (in million U.S. dollars)
Ad spend of selected restaurants in the U.S. 2013
- Advertising spending of selected beverage brands in the in the United States in 2013 (in million U.S. dollars)
Ad spend of selected beverage brands in the U.S.2013
- McDonald's global brand value from 2006 to 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)
McDonald's: brand value 2006-2014
- Number of digital coupons redeemed worldwide in 2014 and 2019 (in billions)
Number of digital coupons redeemed worldwide 2014-2019
- How many times have you used a digital coupon, offer, or online promotion code in the past three months?
Frequency of U.S. digital coupon usage as of May 2014
- How many of the digital coupons or offers that you found using an online device did you ultimately use when shopping?
Share of digital coupons that were used as of May 2014, by device
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens