Consumers Still Trust Traditional Media Advertising Over Online Ads
Newspaper advertising is the most-trusted form of paid media advertising in North America. 63 percent of the North American respondents in a global Nielsen survey among 29,000 consumers stated that they trust newspaper ads. Newspapers just edge out magazine and TV ads, which are trusted by 62 and 61 percent of the polled consumers. The most trusted form of paid online advertising is search engine advertising, which is considered trustworthy by just 44 percent of the respondents.
The results clearly indicate that consumers still have trust issues with online ads, although it needs to be noted that the perception of digital advertising has greatly improved over the past few years. Both search engine ads and online banner ads saw double-digit increases in consumer trust since 2007, indicating that consumers are gradually getting used to these new forms of advertising.
Aside from paid media advertising, unpaid or earned advertising remains the most effective way to reach consumers: personal recommendations and online consumer reviews are considered trustworthy by 82 and 68 percent of the North American respondents, respectively.
- Distribution of U.S. advertising spending in 2013, by mediumDistribution of U.S. advertising spending in 2013, by medium
- Digital advertising spending in the U.S. in 2012, by categoryDigital advertising spending in the U.S. in 2012, by category
- Time spent with digital media vs. ad spending in the U.S. 2014Time spent with digital media vs. ad spending in the U.S. 2014
- Advertising spending in the United States from 2011 to 2018 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Advertising spending in the U.S. 2011-2018
- Online advertising revenue in the United States from the 1st quarter 2007 to the 1st quarter 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Quarterly online advertising revenue in the U.S. 2007-2014
- Advertising spending in the United States from 2011 to 2017, by medium (in billion U.S. dollars)
Advertising spending in the U.S. from 2011 to 2017, by medium
- Online advertising spendings in Germany 2013-2015Online advertising spendings in Germany 2013-2015
- Digital advertising expenditure in the United Kingdom (UK) 2010-2015, by mediumDigital advertising expenditure in the United Kingdom (UK) 2010-2015, by medium
- Global online ad spend 2010-2018Global online ad spend 2010-2018
- Do you trust each source for general news and information?
Millennials: most trusted sources of general news and information 2015
- Preferred social content sharing channels of Millennial internet users in the United States as of June 2014
U.S. Millennials: preferred social content sharing channels 2014
- Profile of female Millennial internet users in the United States in 2014 and 2018 (in millions)
U.S. Millennials: female internet users 2014-2018
- Yandex's annual revenue from 2009 to 2014, by segment (in billion Russian rubles)
Yandex: annual revenue 2009-2014, by segment
- Total media advertising spending in BRIC countries from 2014 to 2018 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Advertising in BRIC countries: total media ad spend 2014-2018
- Market volume of mobile advertising in China from 2009 to 2017 (in billion yuan)
Total revenue of the mobile advertising market in China 2009-2017
- Forecast: revenue media buying agencies US 2008-2020Forecast: revenue media buying agencies US 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue direct mail advertising US 2008-2020Forecast: revenue direct mail advertising US 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue advertising agencies US 2008-2020Forecast: revenue advertising agencies US 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue public relations agencies US 2008-2020Forecast: revenue public relations agencies US 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue display advertising US 2008-2020Forecast: revenue display advertising US 2008-2020
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens