Tablets Are Used Mainly for Entertainment
When Apple introduced the first iPad back in 2010, the initial reaction was a little subdued. Sure, people were intrigued by its design and by the sheer fact that it was a new Apple product. But at the same time, many people seemed to ask themselves what they might need a tablet for. Was it just an oversized iPod? Was it meant to replace their PC? Were they supposed to work on that thing? In the end, it turned out that it's a little bit of all of it.
Hundreds of millions of tablets have been shipped since 2010 and one of the reasons for their overwhelming success is arguably their versatility. However, as more and more people actually use tablets, it emerges that tablets are primarily used for entertainment purposes. According to research conducted by Gartner, tablet users spend 50 percent of their screen time on entertainment activities such as gaming, reading or listening to music and only 15 percent of their tablet time on productive activities such as writing or editing video. Moreover, the study suggests that tablets are predominantly used in the evening, i.e. at home, where they serve as a living room companion during leisure time.
There has been a lot of talk about tablets replacing PCs, and the recent decline of PC sales is most likely at least partly triggered by the rise of tablets. However, Gartner's research suggests that there is hope left for the aching PC industry. As long as tablets are seen primarily as leisure devices, PCs won't be obliterated anytime soon.
- Worldwide tablet shipments from 2nd quarter 2010 to 1st quarter 2015 (in million units)
Worldwide tablet shipments 2010-2015, by quarter
- Global Apple iPad sales from 3rd fiscal quarter of 2010 to 2nd fiscal quarter of 2015 (in million units)*
Apple iPad sales worldwide 2010-2015, by quarter
- Projected unit shipments of tablets worldwide from 2010 to 2019 (in million units)
Global tablet shipments forecast 2010-2019
- Tablet usage in North America by brand 2015Tablet usage in North America by brand 2015
- Market share of tablet brands in the United Kingdom (UK) 2013Market share of tablet brands in the United Kingdom (UK) 2013
- Survey: consumer satisfaction with tablet devices in the U.S. 2013Survey: consumer satisfaction with tablet devices in the U.S. 2013
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens