Cable Still Has the Edge Over Netflix in the U.S.
In the past few years, there has been a lot of talk about cord-cutting, i.e. people abandoning cable TV in favor of streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime Instant Video. But even though the number of cable subscribers has recently started to decline, at least for now, cable remains by far the most popular type of Pay TV in the United States. 70 percent of the respondents in a June 2013 survey conducted by PricewaterhouseCoopers stated that they currently subscribe to cable TV. 41 percent of the respondents were Netflix subscribers, followed by 26 percent who paid for satellite TV.
Maybe Netflix' recent push towards original content will help the company to lure away more cable customers in the future: 63 percent of the respondents in PwC's survey consider original content important when deciding on a video subscription service.
- Pay TV revenues generated by selected media companies in Europe in 2013 (in million U.S. dollars)
Selected media companies' pay TV revenues in Europe in 2013
- Number of pay TV subscribers worldwide in 2012 and 2013 (in millions)
Number of pay TV subscribers worldwide in 2012 and 2013
- Global pay TV revenue from 2011 to 2017 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Global pay TV revenue from 2011 to 2017
- Number of pay TV households worldwide in 2012, 2013 and 2018, by regionNumber of pay TV households worldwide in 2012, 2013 and 2018, by region
- Pay TV revenue in North America from 2006 to 2018, by platformPay TV revenue in North America from 2006 to 2018, by platform
- Share of North American pay TV subscribers who were online video consumers in 2013Share of North American pay TV subscribers who were online video consumers in 2013
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter