Samsung on Top, BlackBerry Crashes
Between July and September 2013, Samsung generated 13.2 percent more sales than during the same period last year. After the close of the latest quarter, the South Korean company is number one in the smartphone market. Lenovo and Sony have also entered double digits in terms of revenue (+12.7 percent and +10.6 percent respectively). LG’s revenue grew by 4.6 percent while Apple’s increased by 4.2 percent.
For BlackBerry, however, the situation is grim. The struggling smartphone manufacturer saw its revenue plummet by 45 percent. HTC (-33 percent) and Nokia (-21.8 percent) suffered similarly dramatic revenue losses. ZTE has rectified a double-digit revenue decline in the previous quarter, though the Chinese smartphone manufacturer’s sales continued to decline.
- Global smartphone sales to end users from 1st quarter 2009 to 3rd quarter 2014, by operating system (in million units)
Global smartphone sales by operating system 2009-2014, by quarter
- Global market share held by leading smartphone vendors from 4th quarter 2009 to 3rd quarter 2014
Global market share held by smartphone vendors 2009-2014, by quarter
- Cumulative number of apps downloaded from the Apple App Store from July 2008 to October 2014 (in billions)
Apple App Store: number of downloads as of October 2014
- Apple vs. Samsung: U.S. smartphone market share Q1 2010-Q1 2012Apple vs. Samsung: U.S. smartphone market share Q1 2010-Q1 2012
- Smartphones: global market share forecast 2011-2017, by countrySmartphones: global market share forecast 2011-2017, by country
- Mobile OS: smartphone market share in the United Kingdom (UK) 2014Mobile OS: smartphone market share in the United Kingdom (UK) 2014
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens