Not Every Social Network Doubles as a News Source
For many people, scrolling through their Twitter feed is the most convenient and easily customizable way to get the news they are looking for. Follow the right people and you won't miss many stories that matter to you. The same is increasingly true for Facebook, which has cleverly extended the functionality of its news stream over the years.
While Facebook and Twitter with their news streams are perfectly suited for news discovery, other services, think Myspace or Pinterest, aren't. A recent study published by the Pew Research Center shows that news consumption varies widely across different social networking sites.
- Mobile CommunicationsWhatsApp Has 600m Users Now
This chart shows the number of monthly active WhatsApp users worldwide.
- Mobile App UsageThe Top 10 Apps in the States
This chart shows the top 10 mobile apps by unique visitors.
- HealthEverybody's Talking About Ice Bucketing
This chart gives an overview of the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge by the numbers
- WomenWomen Vastly Underrepresented In Silicon Valley Tech Jobs
This chart shows the percentage of female employees in the workforce of selected American tech companies.
- Social NetworksSnapchat More Popular Than Twitter Among Millennials
This chart shows the most popular social media apps among U.S. millennials in June 2014.
- Number of monthly active Facebook users worldwide from 3rd quarter 2008 to 2nd quarter 2014 (in millions)
Number of monthly active Facebook users worldwide as of 2nd quarter 2014
- Leading social networks worldwide as of June 2014, ranked by number of active users (in millions)
Global social networks ranked by number of users 2014
- Number of smartphone social network users in the United States from 2011 to 2017 (in millions)
Number of U.S. smartphone social network users 2011-2017
- Online news, newspapers and magazine consumption in Great Britain 2007-2013Online news, newspapers and magazine consumption in Great Britain 2007-2013
- Leading online newspapers worldwide in 2012Leading online newspapers worldwide in 2012
- Online newspaper consumption in Great Britain 2013, by demographicOnline newspaper consumption in Great Britain 2013, by demographic
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter