This is Why Americans Stay Offline
A recent study by the Pew Research Center inquired about the reasons why some adults are immune to the temptations of the world wide web. While in 2007 15% simply didn’t have access to the Internet, this number shrank to a neglectable 7% in 2013.
The strongest argument against going online remains the question of relevance. Apparently 34% of adults who choose to stay offline, do so deliberately. Although there has been a surge in the number of those who have trouble using the Internet.
- Mobile PaymentsPayPal Dominates the Digital Wallet Market
This chart illustrates consumer awareness and usage of digital wallet services in the United States.
- Advertising in the U.S.Desktop Ad Spend About to Peak as Mobile Ads Soar
This chart shows a digital ad spending forecast for the United States until 2017. eMarketer expects desktop ad spending to peak in 2014 while mobile advertising is just taking off.
- Internet usage worldwideThe Reasons Why 15% of American Adults Are Offline
Believe it or not: 15 percent of American adults do not use the internet. This chart shows the most frequently named reasons to be offline.
- Holiday Season E-CommerceMobile to Push Holiday Season E-Commerce Sales Past $50 Billion
The holiday season is the most important time of the year for both online and offline retailers in the United States. Analytics firm comScore expects digital sales to reach $55.2 billion during this year's holiday season, with mobile sales contributing $7.1 billion.
- Number of TV households in the United States from season 2000-2001 to season 2014-2015 (in millions)
Number of TV households in the U.S. 2000-2014
- Weekly radio reach in the United States from 2009 to 2013 (in millions)
Weekly radio reach in the U.S. from 2009 to 2013
- Cities with the highest and lowest daily newspaper readership in the United States in 2012
Cities with the highest and lowest daily newspaper readership in the U.S. in 2012
- Leading offline news brands in the U.S. 2014Leading offline news brands in the U.S. 2014
- Online buyer product discovery through friend recommendations 2013, by ageOnline buyer product discovery through friend recommendations 2013, by age
- Online buyer product discovery through friend recommendations 2013, by regionOnline buyer product discovery through friend recommendations 2013, by region
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter