Millions of Teens Have Abandoned Facebook since 2011
The debate about whether or not young people are losing interest in Facebook has been going on for a while now. Some say it's a problem that the media invented, others say that teenagers are indeed jumping ship in favor of new, more hip services such as Instagram, Snapchat or Tumblr.
Yesterday, iStrategyLabs came out with a report that appears to prove Facebook's teenager exodus. According to iStrategy, which pulls its data from Facebook's social ad tool, the number of users aged 13-24 in the United States has declined by more than 6 million since January 2011. If the data is correct, Facebook's teenage user base in the U.S. shrank by an alarming 25 percent in the past three years, indicating that Facebook does indeed have trouble reaching young users.
- Leading product brands with the most fans on Facebook in July 2014 (in millions)
Most popular product brands on Facebook in July 2014
- Number of monthly active Facebook users worldwide from 3rd quarter 2008 to 2nd quarter 2014 (in millions)
Number of monthly active Facebook users worldwide as of 2nd quarter 2014
- Facebook's advertising revenue worldwide from 2012 to 2016 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Facebook: advertising revenue worldwide 2012-2016
- Number of worldwide social network users 2010-2017Number of worldwide social network users 2010-2017
- Worldwide social network user growth 2011-2017Worldwide social network user growth 2011-2017
- Share of U.S. internet users who use selected social networks 2012-2013Share of U.S. internet users who use selected social networks 2012-2013
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens