The Snowballing Costs of Sochi’s Olympic Venues
Russia is spending a whopping $51 billion on the Winter Olympics in Sochi, topping the $40 billion spent by China on the 2008 Summer Olympics which had three times the number of events. In comparison, Vancouver spent a mere $8.7 billion when it hosted the Winter Olympics in 2008.
Costs have accelerated dramatically with the vast majority of Sochi’s flagship projects coming in catastrophically over budget. Chief among these is the Laura Biathlon and Ski Complex which was originally supposed to cost $500 million. It is now estimated that final costs will top $2.7 billion.
Likewise, the Fisht Olympic Stadium was originally due to cost $49 million. The cost has now ballooned to approximately $519 million – 10 times higher than planned. It doesn’t stop there – some observers have predicted the end price may reach a staggering $700 million.
Number of participants in ice hockey in the United States from 2006 to 2013 (in millions)*
Participants in ice hockey in the U.S. from 2006 to 2013
National economic impact from winter tourism in the U.S. in 2009/10, by industry (in million U.S. dollars)
Economic impact of winter tourism in the United States 2009/10, by industry
Winter tourism in the U.S. employment in 2009/10, by industry (in 1,000s)
Employment winter tourism in the United States 2009/10, by industry
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens