Mobile Is Even More Important to Twitter Than It Is to Facebook
Over the past few years, Internet usage has gradually moved from computers to smartphones and tablets. Social media usage in particular has become an on-the-go activity. According to recent Nielsen data, American Facebook and Twitter users already spend more time using the services on their smartphones than they do on computers. It took Facebook some time to realize that its future is mobile but when it did, the company build a great mobile ad business in no time. The Nielsen data suggests that to Twitter, mobile is even more important than it is to Facebook. 85% of Americans' Twitter usage happens on smartphones, indicating that Twitter is becoming a mobile-only company and needs to build its business accordingly.
- Number of monthly active Facebook users worldwide as of 4th quarter 2014 (in millions)
Number of monthly active Facebook users worldwide 2008-2014
- Leading social networks worldwide as of January 2015, ranked by number of active users (in millions)
Global social networks ranked by number of users 2015
- Number of social network users worldwide from 2010 to 2018 (in billions)
Number of global social network users 2010-2018
- Social media platforms used by marketers worldwide 2014Social media platforms used by marketers worldwide 2014
- Future use of social media among marketers worldwide by platform 2014Future use of social media among marketers worldwide by platform 2014
- Active mobile social media penetration in the Americas 2014Active mobile social media penetration in the Americas 2014
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens