Skill Levels Are the Greatest Hiring Challenge for Start-ups
When it comes to finding and retaining talent among start-up businesses in the United States, competition and salary generally fall by the wayside. Ultimately, it comes down to finding people with the right skill set.
According to the Silicon Valley Bank, 46 percent of healthcare and cleantech start-ups find it difficult to hire people with the right skills. Just 31 percent and 28 percent of industries in these sectors stated that salaries and benefits would be problematic for hiring. Local competition is even further down the list, at just 10 and 13 percent respectively.
- Monthly unemployment rate in the United States from July 2013 to July 2014 (seasonally-adjusted)
U.S. unemployment rate: July 2014, seasonally adjusted
- Employment rate in the United States from 1990 to 2013
USA - employment rate 1990-2013
- Total employed persons in the U.S. in 2013, by industry (in thousands)
U.S.- employment by industry 2013
- Leading economic nations - Start-upsLeading economic nations - Start-ups
- Hospitality and tourism industry: start-up rate by sector in the UK in 2011Hospitality and tourism industry: start-up rate by sector in the UK in 2011
- Hospitality and tourism industry: start-up rate in the United Kingdom (UK) 2008-2011Hospitality and tourism industry: start-up rate in the United Kingdom (UK) 2008-2011
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter