Has the PC Industry Bottomed Out?
According to data released by Gartner this week, global PC shipments declined by 1.7% in the first quarter of 2014. While a few years ago, this number would have been considered catastropic, now it's actually good news. As a matter of fact, it's the smallest decline the PC industry has suffered since early 2012.
According to Gartner, the end of Windows XP support in early April has boosted replacement buys and could continue to do so in the current quarter. While it's unlikely that PC sales will suddenly start growing again, the trend of the past few quarters suggests that the industry may finally have bottomed out and sales might stabilize around the current level.
- Social NetworksSnapchat More Popular Than Twitter Among Millennials
This chart shows the most popular social media apps among U.S. millennials in June 2014.
- Media UsePeople Spend More Time Looking at Screens Than Ever
This chart shows how Americans' use of screen media has changed between the first quarter of 2013 and the first quarter of 2014.
- Media UseSurrounded by Screens?
This chart shows the percentage of people in selected countries stating that they are "constantly looking at screens these days".
- TabletsThe Tablet Market Is Increasingly Fragmented
This chart shows tablet market share of the five largest tablet vendors in the second quarter of 2014.
- GoogleGoogle Ads Are Getting Cheaper
This chart shows the year-over-year change of the average cost per click on Google ads.
- Market share of PC vendors of PC shipments* worldwide from 2011 to 2014, by quarter
PC vendors' market share PC unit shipments worldwide 2011-2014, by quarter
- Share of selected types of computers on all PC sales from 2008 to 2015 in the U.S.
U.S. Forecast - PC sales by computer type
- Penetration rate of PCs in selected countries in 2008
Penetration rate of PCs
- Forecast: tablet PC sales in the United States 2010-2016Forecast: tablet PC sales in the United States 2010-2016
- U.S. Forecast - PC sales by computer typeU.S. Forecast - PC sales by computer type
- Globa PC sales via PC stores, by vendor 2010Globa PC sales via PC stores, by vendor 2010
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter