World Cup Joy Muffled by Brazilian Social Issues
Yesterday's kick-off of the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil was partly overshadowed by demonstrations of parts of the host country's discontent population. The reasons for the unrest are comprehensible. To host the World Cup, Brazil had to spent hundreds of millions on stadiums and related infrastructure, while many social issues in the divided nation remain unsolved. Brazil's recent economic emergence has brought prosperity and wealth to parts of the population, while many have been left behind.
A recently published Pew Research report shines a light on the key issues causing concern within Brazil's population. Rising prices, the high crime rate and a faulty health care system are among the most important reasons why a record 72% of Brazilian's are dissatisfied with the way things are going in their country. It remains to be hoped that Brazil as a whole will profit from hosting World Cup in the long run, and that those who fear the tournament will negatively affect the situation in Brazil can be proven wrong.
Revenue of the biggest (Big Five*) European soccer leagues from 1996/97 to 2013/14 (in million euros)
Revenue of the "Big Five" European soccer leagues 2013/14
Revenue of the European soccer market from 2006/07 to 2012/13 (in billion euros)
Revenue of the European soccer market 2012/13
Major League Soccer team brand values in 2012 (in million U.S dollars)
Brand value of Major League Soccer (USA and Canada) football teams 2012
- Forecast: sales value oil & gas extraction support activities Brazil 2009-2020Forecast: sales value oil & gas extraction support activities Brazil 2009-2020
- Forecast: sales value aluminum ore extraction Brazil 2009-2020Forecast: sales value aluminum ore extraction Brazil 2009-2020
- Forecast: sales value stone, sand and clay extraction Brazil 2009-2020Forecast: sales value stone, sand and clay extraction Brazil 2009-2020
- Forecast: sales value automobile battery and accumulator manufacture Brazil 2009-2020Forecast: sales value automobile battery and accumulator manufacture Brazil 2009-2020
- Forecast: sales value ship maintenance and repair Brazil 2009-2020Forecast: sales value ship maintenance and repair Brazil 2009-2020
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens