Zynga's Monetization Problem
While everybody was still going on about Apple’s „disappointing“ June quarter, social gaming company Zynga posted results that were in fact disappointing. Zynga reported underwhelming growth and cut its full year EPS forecast to a range of $0.09 - $0.04, widely missing Wall Street expectations of $0.27.
Trying to explain his company’s weak performance CEO Mark Pincus quoted changes that Facebook had made to its gaming platform and weaker-than-hoped performance of $200 million acquisition Draw Something.
After crunching the numbers, we found that Zynga is still having trouble monetizing its ever-growing user base. Average bookings per monthly unique user are on a downward-slope, having declined year-over-year in each of the past four quarters. If Zynga doesn’t manage to turn this trend around, the company will have trouble justifying the hype that surrounded its IPO last year.
- Software revenue of the U.S. video game industry from April 2013 to June 2015 (in million U.S. dollars)
Software revenue of the U.S. video game industry 2013-2015
- Retail revenue of the U.S. video game industry from April 2013 to June 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Revenue of the U.S. video game industry 2013-2015
- Hardware revenue of the U.S. video game industry from April 2013 to June 2015 (in million U.S. dollars)
Monthly hardware revenue of the U.S. video game industry 2013-2015
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens