The Rapid Rise of Social Media
This chart shows how the pace of technological progress has changed over the past century.
It took the radio 38 years to reach 50 million users worldwide. The next revolution came around a little quicker: 13 years passed until 50 million people enjoyed moving images in their own homes.
With the arrival of the internet the pace of technological adoption really picked up: while it still took internet service providers three years to reach 50 million subscribers, the world wide web dramatically enlarged the potential audience for everyone with an innovative product or service.
Facebook, now on track to reach 1 billion users, needed just one year to reach 50 million users and Twitter was even quicker to reach that milestone.
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens