The Rapid Rise of Social Media
This chart shows how the pace of technological progress has changed over the past century.
It took the radio 38 years to reach 50 million users worldwide. The next revolution came around a little quicker: 13 years passed until 50 million people enjoyed moving images in their own homes.
With the arrival of the internet the pace of technological adoption really picked up: while it still took internet service providers three years to reach 50 million subscribers, the world wide web dramatically enlarged the potential audience for everyone with an innovative product or service.
Facebook, now on track to reach 1 billion users, needed just one year to reach 50 million users and Twitter was even quicker to reach that milestone.
- SmartphonesPeople Rarely Unplug From Technology
This chart shows how often U.S. Internet users unplug.
- Social NetworksSocial Networks Take Up The Most Online Time in the U.S.
This chart shows the average minutes per day spent with online activities in the U.S. in 2013.
- E-booksPeople Still Prefer Holding Dusty Old Books
This chart shows the percentage of U.S. Internet users reading hard copy and electronic books.
- RadioThe Good Old Radio Trumps Online Services for Music Discovery
This chart shows which services Americans use to stay up-to-date with music.
- Internet usage worldwideThe Rapid Rise of the Internet
This chart shows the percentage of American adults who use th internet from 1995 to 2014.
- Number of monthly active Facebook users worldwide from 3rd quarter 2008 to 2nd quarter 2014 (in millions)
Number of monthly active Facebook users worldwide as of 2nd quarter 2014
- Leading social networks worldwide as of June 2014, ranked by number of active users (in millions)
Global social networks ranked by number of users 2014
- Number of smartphone social network users in the United States from 2011 to 2017 (in millions)
Number of U.S. smartphone social network users 2011-2017
- Daily internet users in Great Britain 2006-2013Daily internet users in Great Britain 2006-2013
- Countries with the highest number of internet users 2013Countries with the highest number of internet users 2013
- Brazil: number of internet users 2011-2018Brazil: number of internet users 2011-2018
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter