Two Thirds of Android Users Don't Pay for Apps
In the battle for smartphone platform supremacy, Android has recently extended its lead over iOS in terms of market share. According to IDC, Android devices accounted for almost 70 percent of global smartphone shipments in Q2 2012, up from 46.9 percent in Q2 2011.
The huge installed base of approximately 430 million Android smartphones should be argument enough for developers to treat Android as their primary platform. There is one other aspect though, that explains why many developers still favour iOS over Android: monetization.
According to the results of an OPA survey conducted in March 2012, iOS users are far more likely to spend money on apps than Android users are. 66 percent of the Android users included in the survey haven’t paid a single dollar for apps in the past year.
- Smartphone market in ChinaApple Fails to Gain Traction in China's Smartphone Market
This chart breaks down smartphone sales in four major markets between March and May 2014, by operating system.
- AndroidAndroid Dominates UK Smartphone Sales
This chart shows the smartphone sales share in the UK by operating system.
- AppleiTunes Spending Is on the Decline
This chart shows estimated quarterly billings per user of Apple's iTunes and App Store.
- TabletsThe Tablet Market Cooled Down in the First Quarter
This chart shows global tablet shipments by operating system.
- App StoresGaming Rules the App Stores
This chart shows the top categories in mobile app stores.
- Global tablet shipments from 2010 to 2014, by operating system (in million units)
Global tablet shipments by operating system per quarter 2010-2014
- Global market share held by tablet operating systems from 2010 to 2014, by quarter
Global market share held by tablet operating systems 2010-2014, by quarter
- Global smartphone sales from 2009 to 2013, by operating system (in millions)
Global smartphone sales 2009-2013, by OS
- Least effective mobile app monetization strategies according to developers 2014Least effective mobile app monetization strategies according to developers 2014
- Most-used mobile app monetization platforms of developers 2014Most-used mobile app monetization platforms of developers 2014
- Most-used mobile app monetization models of developers 2014Most-used mobile app monetization models of developers 2014
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter