Pandora's Royalty Costs Continue to Outgrow Revenue
On December 4, Pandora, the popular internet radio, reported its third quarter results for fiscal year 2013.
Pandora had 62.4 million active listeners by the end of November, an increase of 45 percent over the same period last year. Listener hours during November amounted to 1.27 billion, up 58 percent from November 2011. Revenue grew 60 percent to $120 million. An impressive number if only content acquisition costs had not grown 75 percent during the same time. Pandora’s royalty costs have outpaced revenue growth for six consecutive quarters now, a fact that doesn’t bode well for the company’s future. For the past quarter, Pandora reported a net profit of $2 million, but announced an expected loss for the running quarter.
Pandora currently licenses music under the compulsory licensing provision of federal copyright law, which allows it to use any song but leads to royalty costs growing almost linearly with increasing listening hours. The company is currently fighting for the Internet Radio Fairness Act (IRFA), which would lower the amount of royalties that Pandora and other internet radio services pay to artists in the United States. In 2012, Pandora spent $160,000 on lobbying, but its support for the IRFA has hurt the company’s reputation within the music industry, as artists and labels are naturally opposing the controversial legislation.
If the IRFA does not get passed and royalty rates remain as they are now, it is hard to see Pandora making a sizeable profit anytime soon, as content acquisition costs will continue to eat up whatever revenue the company generates.
- Internet Usage in ChinaTencent's Impressive Line Of Messaging + Social Platforms
This chart shows the growth of Tencent's instant messaging and social media platforms.
- LinkedInLinkedIn's Impressive Revenue Growth
This chart shows LinkedIn's revenue growth since Q1 2009.
- FacebookFacebook's Revenue Soars On Mobile Ad Boom
This chart shows Facebook's revenue growth since the first quarter of 2012.
- MusicPandora Maintains Lead In Crowded Audio Streaming Space
This chart shows the results of a survey on music streaming adoption in the United States.
- FacebookMobile Accounts for More Than Half of Facebook's Revenue
This charts shows Facebook's revenue growth, broken down by segment.
- Pandora's share of U.S. radio listening time from May 2012 to May 2014
Pandora's monthly share of U.S. radio listening time 2012-2014
- Pandora's content acquisition costs (royalty fees) from 2006 to 2013 (in million U.S. dollars)
Royalty fees paid by Pandora from 2006 to 2013
- Weekly time spent listening to AM/FM radio among Pandora listeners and non-Pandora listeners in the U.S. in 2012 (in hours)
Time spent with AM/FM radio among U.S. Pandora listeners & non-Pandora listeners
- Year-over-year revenue growth of Amazon and eBay 2006-2013Year-over-year revenue growth of Amazon and eBay 2006-2013
- Fastest growing and marketing companies in Canada 2007-2012Fastest growing and marketing companies in Canada 2007-2012
- Growth rate of U.S. agency revenue in 2011 and 2012, by disciplineGrowth rate of U.S. agency revenue in 2011 and 2012, by discipline
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter