50 Years of Growth Wiped Out in a Decade
Two weeks ago, the Newspaper Association of America published its quarterly advertising report. As we reported earlier, the results were not good. In fact it was the worst quarter in thirty years when accounting for inflation.
Looking at annual numbers, the outlook is even more dramatic: if nothing extraordinary happens in the last few months of this year, 2012 will be the worst year for American newspapers since 1950. Professor Mark J. Perry of the University of Michigan estimates print advertising revenues of $19 billion this year. Taking inflation into account that is a 71 percent decline from the peak in 2000 and below the level of 1950.
- NewspapersThe Internet Won't Save U.S. Newspapers
This chart shows the U.S. newspaper advertising revenue.
- NewspapersThe Age of the Internet
This infographic illustrates a forecast of newspaper and internet advertising expenditure from 2011 to 2014. Internet ad expenditure is expected to surpass newspaper advertising in 2013.
- Advertising in the U.S.Online Advertising Continues Its Rise
This chart shows the quarterly growth of U.S. online advertising revenue since 2004. To put the rise of online ads in perspective the chart includes print advertising revenue of U.S. newspapers and TV ad revenue as well.
- Advertising in the U.S.The Decline of Newspaper Advertising Continues
This chart shows second quarter advertising revenue of U.S. newspapers since 2003.
- Advertising spending in the United States from 2011 to 2018 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Advertising spending in the U.S. 2011-2018
- Online advertising revenue in the United States from the 1st quarter 2007 to the 1st quarter 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Quarterly online advertising revenue in the U.S. 2007-2014
- Advertising spending in the United States from 2011 to 2017, by medium (in billion U.S. dollars)
Advertising spending in the U.S. from 2011 to 2017, by medium
- Global newspaper advertising expenditure from 2000 to 2016Global newspaper advertising expenditure from 2000 to 2016
- Digital and print advertising revenue of U.S. newspapers 2003-2013Digital and print advertising revenue of U.S. newspapers 2003-2013
- Print advertising expenditure in the United Kingdom (UK) 2007-2013Print advertising expenditure in the United Kingdom (UK) 2007-2013
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter