Free Apps are More Likely to Invade User Privacy
In comparison to paid Apps, free Apps are more likely to infringe on the privacy of their users. This is according to a study carried out by network equipment manufacturer Juniper. For example, approximately 24 percent of Apps in the Google Play Store disclose the user’s position. Free applications are also considered three times more likely to access your address book. Similarly widespread is the clandestine initiation of background telephone calls. For this analysis, 1.7 million Apps from the Google Play Store were investigated by Juniper between March 2011 and September 2012.
Number of apps available in leading app stores as of July 2015
Number of apps available in leading app stores 2015
Global smartphone sales from 2009 to 2014, by operating system (in millions)
Global smartphone sales 2009-2014, by OS
Number of available applications in the Google Play Store from December 2009 to February 2015
Google Play: number of available apps 2009-2015
- Google Play: number of available apps 2009-2015Google Play: number of available apps 2009-2015
- Number of apps available in leading app stores 2015Number of apps available in leading app stores 2015
- U.S. market reach of the most popular Android apps in July 2011U.S. market reach of the most popular Android apps in July 2011
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens