Free Apps are More Likely to Invade User Privacy
In comparison to paid Apps, free Apps are more likely to infringe on the privacy of their users. This is according to a study carried out by network equipment manufacturer Juniper. For example, approximately 24 percent of Apps in the Google Play Store disclose the user’s position. Free applications are also considered three times more likely to access your address book. Similarly widespread is the clandestine initiation of background telephone calls. For this analysis, 1.7 million Apps from the Google Play Store were investigated by Juniper between March 2011 and September 2012.
- Global smartphone sales to end users from 1st quarter 2009 to 3rd quarter 2014, by operating system (in million units)
Global smartphone sales by operating system 2009-2014, by quarter
- Global tablet shipments from 2010 to 2014, by operating system (in million units)
Global tablet shipments by operating system per quarter 2010-2014
- Global market share held by tablet operating systems from 2010 to 2014, by quarter
Global market share held by tablet operating systems 2010-2014, by quarter
- Google Play: number of available apps 2009-2014Google Play: number of available apps 2009-2014
- Google Play: global revenue share per business model 2013Google Play: global revenue share per business model 2013
- Global revenue of Google from 2002 to 2013Global revenue of Google from 2002 to 2013
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens