Apple's Astonishing Profit in Context
When Apple released its fourth quarter earnings in late October, the reaction from commentators, analysts and investors was largely negative. The company had missed earnings expectations, sold fewer iPads than expected and its margins had declined.
What went by nearly unnoticed however, was the fact that Apple had just wrapped up its fiscal year 2012 with a record profit of $41.7 billion on $156.5 billion revenue.
How huge these numbers really are becomes more evident when compared to the results of Apple’s competition:
• From October 2011 through September 2012, the combined net profit of Microsoft, Google, eBay, Yahoo, Facebook and Amazon was $34.4 billion. Apple alone made $7 billion more.
• In the same period, Dell, Asus, Intel, Acer, IBM, Lenovo and HP, i.e. virtually the entire PC industry, made $19.3 billion or less than half of Apple’s profit.
Seeing these numbers, it is no surprise that, despite its recent dip, Apple is still the most valuable public company in the world. All its recent shortcomings notwithstanding, Apple’s business remains incredibly profitable.
- Video GamesWii U on Track to Become Nintendo's Worst Selling Console
This chart shows Nintendo's home video game console sales since 1998.
- Video GamesThe Rapid Decline of Nintendo's Hardware Business
This chart illustrates the rapid decline of Nintendo's hardware business.
- iPhoneBy Next Year 80% of iPhone Sales Could Be Replacements
This chart shows iPhone sales from fiscal year 2011 through fiscal year 2015, broken down by the type of purchase.
- iPhoneiPhone to Account for 68% of Apple's Gross Profit This Year
This chart breaks down Apple's estimated gross profit for fiscal year 2014 by product category.
- FacebookMobile Accounts for More Than Half of Facebook's Revenue
This charts shows Facebook's recent revenue growth, broken down by segment.
- Apple's net income worldwide from 1st quarter 2005 to 2nd quarter 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Apple: net income Q1 2005-Q2 2014
- Apple's global revenue from 1st quarter 2005 to 2nd quarter 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Apple: quarterly revenue Q1 2005-Q2 2014
- Apple's iPhone revenue from 3rd quarter 2007 to 2nd quarter 2014 (in million U.S. dollars)
Apple iPhones: quarterly revenue Q3 2007-Q2 2014
- KPS Consulting - equity ratioKPS Consulting - equity ratio
- Year-over-year revenue growth of Amazon and eBay 2006-2013Year-over-year revenue growth of Amazon and eBay 2006-2013
- Revenue growth of the supermarket industry in China 2009-2017Revenue growth of the supermarket industry in China 2009-2017
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter