Apple's Astonishing Profit in Context
When Apple released its fourth quarter earnings in late October, the reaction from commentators, analysts and investors was largely negative. The company had missed earnings expectations, sold fewer iPads than expected and its margins had declined.
What went by nearly unnoticed however, was the fact that Apple had just wrapped up its fiscal year 2012 with a record profit of $41.7 billion on $156.5 billion revenue.
How huge these numbers really are becomes more evident when compared to the results of Apple’s competition:
• From October 2011 through September 2012, the combined net profit of Microsoft, Google, eBay, Yahoo, Facebook and Amazon was $34.4 billion. Apple alone made $7 billion more.
• In the same period, Dell, Asus, Intel, Acer, IBM, Lenovo and HP, i.e. virtually the entire PC industry, made $19.3 billion or less than half of Apple’s profit.
Seeing these numbers, it is no surprise that, despite its recent dip, Apple is still the most valuable public company in the world. All its recent shortcomings notwithstanding, Apple’s business remains incredibly profitable.
- AppleApple Ramps Up R&D Intensity To Pre-iPhone High
This chart shows how much money Apple spends on research and development relative to its revenue.
- FacebookFacebook's Revenue Soars On Mobile Ad Boom
This chart shows Facebook's revenue growth since the first quarter of 2012.
- iPadApple's iPad Business Continues to Slump
This chart shows Apple's quarterly iPad and iPhone sales since the iPad's release in 2010.
- Video GamesWii U on Track to Become Nintendo's Worst Selling Console
This chart shows Nintendo's home video game console sales since 1998.
- Video GamesThe Rapid Decline of Nintendo's Hardware Business
This chart illustrates the rapid decline of Nintendo's hardware business.
- Global Apple iPhone sales from 3rd quarter 2007 to 3rd quarter 2014 (in million units)
Global Apple iPhone sales 2007-2014, by quarter
- Apple's iPhone revenue from 3rd quarter 2007 to 3rd quarter 2014 (in million U.S. dollars)
Apple iPhones: quarterly revenue 2007-2014
- Apple's global revenue from 1st quarter 2005 to 3rd quarter 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Apple: quarterly revenue 2005-2014
- KPS Consulting - equity ratioKPS Consulting - equity ratio
- Total worldwide prescription drug revenue growth - projection 2014-2020Total worldwide prescription drug revenue growth - projection 2014-2020
- Year-over-year revenue growth of Amazon and eBay 2006-2013Year-over-year revenue growth of Amazon and eBay 2006-2013
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter