Apple's Astonishing Profit in Context
When Apple released its fourth quarter earnings in late October, the reaction from commentators, analysts and investors was largely negative. The company had missed earnings expectations, sold fewer iPads than expected and its margins had declined.
What went by nearly unnoticed however, was the fact that Apple had just wrapped up its fiscal year 2012 with a record profit of $41.7 billion on $156.5 billion revenue.
How huge these numbers really are becomes more evident when compared to the results of Apple’s competition:
• From October 2011 through September 2012, the combined net profit of Microsoft, Google, eBay, Yahoo, Facebook and Amazon was $34.4 billion. Apple alone made $7 billion more.
• In the same period, Dell, Asus, Intel, Acer, IBM, Lenovo and HP, i.e. virtually the entire PC industry, made $19.3 billion or less than half of Apple’s profit.
Seeing these numbers, it is no surprise that, despite its recent dip, Apple is still the most valuable public company in the world. All its recent shortcomings notwithstanding, Apple’s business remains incredibly profitable.
Global Apple iPhone sales from 3rd quarter 2007 to 2nd quarter 2015 (in million units)
Global Apple iPhone sales 2007-2015, by quarter
Apple's iPhone revenue from 3rd quarter 2007 to 2nd quarter 2015 (in million U.S. dollars)
Apple iPhones: quarterly revenue 2007-2015
Apple's global revenue from 1st quarter 2005 to 2nd quarter 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Apple: quarterly revenue 2005-2015
- Forecast: revenue home health equipment rentals US 2008-2020Forecast: revenue home health equipment rentals US 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue office machinery rent and lease Germany 2008-2020Forecast: revenue office machinery rent and lease Germany 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue video tape and disk rent and lease Germany 2008-2020Forecast: revenue video tape and disk rent and lease Germany 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue truck rent and lease Germany 2008-2020Forecast: revenue truck rent and lease Germany 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue agricultural machinery rent and lease Germany 2008-2020Forecast: revenue agricultural machinery rent and lease Germany 2008-2020
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens