The potential of mobile payments is enormous: there are 1.3 billion active credit and debit accounts in the world, but more than 5 billion active mobile phone accounts.
In Africa and Asia, financial transactions via mobile phone are a widespread way to overcome deficits in banking infrastructure. In the western world, the growing adoption of smartphones and the technological progress have given rise to the idea of mobile wallets.
- Mobile PaymentsAfrica and Asia Are Embracing Mobile Payments
This chart shows the number of mobile payment users, broken down by world region.
- SmartphonesAre Smartphones the New Wallets?
This chart shows a forecast of proximity mobile payment transaction volume in the United States.
- Mobile PaymentsPayPal Dominates the Digital Wallet Market
This chart illustrates consumer awareness and usage of digital wallet services in the United States.
- Mobile payment security concerns of U.S. consumers who did not use mobile payment methods as of 2013
Mobile payment security concerns of U.S. consumers in 2013
- How do you make your mobile payments?
Mobile payment billing methods used in the United States 2013
- Mobile payment methods used on smartphones in selected countries in 2011, ranked by usage
Mobile payment methods used on smartphones in 2011
- Mobile payment methods used on smartphones in 2011Mobile payment methods used on smartphones in 2011
- Forecast: U.S. proximity mobile payment transaction value 2011-2017Forecast: U.S. proximity mobile payment transaction value 2011-2017
- Mobile payment traction outlook as of 2011Mobile payment traction outlook as of 2011
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter