Android Dominates Outside of the United States
The iPhone 5 has helped Apple to stage a remarkable comeback in the U.S. smartphone market.
According to Kantar Worldpanel data, Apple’s phones accounted for 48.1 percent of smartphone sales in the twelve week period ending October 28. In the same period last year, iPhones had accounted for no more than 22.4 percent of total smartphone sales.
The United States appear to be Apple’s last stronghold however.
In all other regions in Kantar’s dataset, Android is far ahead of competing platforms.
In China, Brazil, Australia and the EU5 countries, Android’s market share hovers around 60 percent, while iOS devices account for 0.4 percent (Brazil) to 29.4 percent (Australia) of sales.
- Cumulative number of apps downloaded from the Apple App Store from July 2008 to June 2015 (in billions)
Apple App Store: number of downloads as of June 2015
- Number of apps available in leading app stores as of July 2015
Number of apps available in leading app stores 2015
- Global market share held by leading smartphone vendors from 4th quarter 2009 to 1st quarter 2015
Global market share held by smartphone vendors 2009-2015, by quarter
- Global smartphone sales 2009-2014, by OSGlobal smartphone sales 2009-2014, by OS
- Global smartphone sales by operating system 2009-2014, by quarterGlobal smartphone sales by operating system 2009-2014, by quarter
- Global market share held by smartphone operating systems 2009-2013, by quarterGlobal market share held by smartphone operating systems 2009-2013, by quarter
- Forecast: revenue radio stations US 2008-2020Forecast: revenue radio stations US 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue portrait photography studios US 2008-2020Forecast: revenue portrait photography studios US 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue radio networks US 2008-2020Forecast: revenue radio networks US 2008-2020
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens