Android Dominates Outside of the United States
The iPhone 5 has helped Apple to stage a remarkable comeback in the U.S. smartphone market.
According to Kantar Worldpanel data, Apple’s phones accounted for 48.1 percent of smartphone sales in the twelve week period ending October 28. In the same period last year, iPhones had accounted for no more than 22.4 percent of total smartphone sales.
The United States appear to be Apple’s last stronghold however.
In all other regions in Kantar’s dataset, Android is far ahead of competing platforms.
In China, Brazil, Australia and the EU5 countries, Android’s market share hovers around 60 percent, while iOS devices account for 0.4 percent (Brazil) to 29.4 percent (Australia) of sales.
- AndroidMobile Web: Android Surpasses Apple
This chart shows the global share of iOS and Android mobile/tablet traffic.
- iPhoneDo New iPhone Models Make People Think Their Old Ones Are Slow?
This chart illustrates how Google searches for the keyword combination “iPhone slow” tend to peak right after Apple announces a new model of its popular smartphone.
- SmartphonesApple and Samsung Lose Ground to Chinese Vendors
This chart shows global market share of the world's leading smartphone vendors in Q2 2014.
- AppleApple Ramps Up R&D Intensity To Pre-iPhone High
This chart shows how much money Apple spends on research and development relative to its revenue.
- iPadApple's iPad Business Continues to Slump
This chart shows Apple's quarterly iPad and iPhone sales since the iPad's release in 2010.
- Global market share held by leading smartphone vendors from 4th quarter 2009 to 2nd quarter 2014
Global market share held by smartphone vendors 2009-2014, by quarter
- Global Apple iPhone sales from 3rd quarter 2007 to 3rd quarter 2014 (in million units)
Global Apple iPhone sales 2007-2014, by quarter
- Number of apps available in leading app stores as of July 2014
Number of apps available in leading app stores as of July 2014
- Android OS: number of daily activations in selected months 2010-2012Android OS: number of daily activations in selected months 2010-2012
- Global smartphone sales 2009-2013, by OSGlobal smartphone sales 2009-2013, by OS
- U.S. market share held by smartphone platforms 2012-2014, by monthU.S. market share held by smartphone platforms 2012-2014, by month
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter