Wii U Outsold by Xbox 360 and PS3 in Launch Week
On November 18, Nintendo’s Wii U went on sale in the United States. The release of the successor to the immensely popular Nintendo Wii came just in time for the shopping-intense Thanksgiving week.
Nintendo reportedly sold more than 400,000 units of its new home console during the week and, according to Nintendo, the Wii U is now effectively sold out in the United States.
What puts a little dent in the Wii U’s launch performance is the fact that Microsoft’s Xbox 360 and Sony’s Playstation 3 outsold Nintendo’s new flagship console by a significant margin. The heavy Black Friday discounts offered on both consoles apparently persuaded many shoppers to go with the slightly dated HD consoles instead of the Wii U.
- Sales volume of games consoles in Germany 2014, by platformSales volume of games consoles in Germany 2014, by platform
- Global console unit sales from 2012 to 2016, by typeGlobal console unit sales from 2012 to 2016, by type
- Sales volume of Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 gaming consoles in Germany 2007-2014Sales volume of Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 gaming consoles in Germany 2007-2014
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens