Mobile Apps Set Out to Challenge Television
Mobile app usage has surpassed traditional web browsing in terms of daily use in the United States. According to Flurry Analytics, Americans now spend 127 minutes per day with mobile apps and only 70 minutes using a web browser.
As smartphone and tablet penetration continue to rise, the next step for mobile apps is to challenge television as the primary channel for media consumption. What seemed impossible just a couple of years ago, doesn’t seem too far fetched today, as more and more content becomes available via mobile apps.
The pace at which mobile apps have changed our media consumption habits is truly breathtaking, especially considering the fact that the concept is only four years old. The app concept has already started spreading to the living room, where apps are starting to change the way we interact with video game consoles and television sets as well.
For the moment, it seems safe to say that apps are the medium of the hour and quite possibly the medium of the future.
- Cumulative number of apps downloaded from the Apple App Store from June 2008 to October 2014 (in billions)
Apple App Store: number of downloads as of October 2014
- Most popular Apple App Store categories in September 2014, by share of available apps
Most popular Apple App Store categories in September 2014
- Number of free and paid mobile app store downloads worldwide from 2011 to 2017 (in billions)
Mobile app stores: number of free and paid downloads 2011-2017
- Monthly mobile app usage frequency 2014, by categoryMonthly mobile app usage frequency 2014, by category
- Average daily media use in the U.S. 2010-2014Average daily media use in the U.S. 2010-2014
- Average active app usage in selected countries 2014Average active app usage in selected countries 2014
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens