Small Tablets Dominate Pre-Christmas Consumer Interest
A couple of years ago, Apple’s co-founder and former CEO Steve Jobs famously dismissed the idea of making a tablet with a screen smaller than the original iPad’s 10 inch because it would be „too small to express the software“.
It may be one of the few misperceptions of a man with an otherwise impeccable feel for what consumers really want. It turns out that consumers do indeed want smaller tablets and in this case Jobs’ successor Tim Cook followed the advice Jobs gave him before passing the torch: "I never want you to ask what I would have done," Jobs reportedly said, “Just do what’s right."
In response to the growing competition from companies such as Google, Samsung and Amazon, Apple announced the 7.9 inch iPad mini in late October. The critical reception was overwhelmingly positive and many consumers appear to prefer the smaller form factor over the design of the full-sized iPad.
- iPadApple's iPad Business Continues to Slump
This chart shows Apple's quarterly iPad and iPhone sales since the iPad's release in 2010.
- SmartphonesApple Beats Competitors In Smartphone Brand Loyalty
This chart shows the brand retention rate for selected smartphone vendors.
- TabletsThe iPad Still Dominates Tablet Usage
This chart shows the Top 8 tablet brands in North America, based on their share of tablet-based web usage in April 2014.
- SmartphonesPhablets Account for One Third of Global Smartphone Shipments
This chart shows a breakdown of global smartphone shipments in the first quarter of 2014 by screen size.
- AppleApple Got Sued the Most Over Patents Last Year
This chart shows U.S. patent-infringement suits filed against the following companies in 2013.
- Global Apple iPad sales from 3rd quarter 2010 to 3rd quarter 2014 (in million units)
Apple iPad sales worldwide 2010-2014, by quarter
- Worldwide tablet shipments from 2nd quarter 2010 to 1st quarter 2014 (in million units)
Worldwide tablet shipments 2010-2014, by quarter
- Global tablet shipments from 2010 to 2014, by operating system (in million units)
Global tablet shipments by operating system per quarter 2010-2014
- Survey: consumer satisfaction with tablet devices in the U.S. 2013Survey: consumer satisfaction with tablet devices in the U.S. 2013
- Apple iPad sales worldwide 2010-2014, by quarterApple iPad sales worldwide 2010-2014, by quarter
- Apple iPad - U.S. sales Q2 2010-Q2 2012Apple iPad - U.S. sales Q2 2010-Q2 2012
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter