Smartphone Sales Break the Billion Barrier
The smartphone market is developing perfectly in 2013, according to a recent IDC forecast. The analysts expect global smartphone sales to break the billion barrier for the first time, which means an increase of 40 percent on the previous year.
For 2017, the forecast is 1.7 billion smartphones sold (+71 percent). The tablet market is also expected to develop very positively over the coming years. Here IDC is predicting a rise from 227 million units sold in 2013 to almost twice as many – 407 million units (+79 percent).
The personal computer is the big loser in the connected devices segment. The outlook is especially bleak for the traditional desktop PC. Even though laptop sales will moderately increase over the next 4 years (+9 percent), eight percent less desktop PCs will be sold.
- Market share of PC vendors of PC shipments* worldwide from 2011 to 2014, by quarter
PC vendors' market share PC unit shipments worldwide 2011-2014, by quarter
- Share of selected types of computers on all PC sales from 2008 to 2015 in the U.S.
U.S. Forecast - PC sales by computer type
- Penetration rate of PCs in selected countries in 2008
Penetration rate of PCs
- Apple vs. Samsung: U.S. smartphone market share Q1 2010-Q1 2012Apple vs. Samsung: U.S. smartphone market share Q1 2010-Q1 2012
- Smartphones: global market share forecast 2011-2017, by countrySmartphones: global market share forecast 2011-2017, by country
- Global market share held by smartphone vendors 2012-2014Global market share held by smartphone vendors 2012-2014
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens