The U.S. Government Is Increasingly Hungry for Google's User Data
Google published its latest Transparency Report last week, revealing another increase in user data requests from governments around the world.
U.S. authorities were particularly hungry for Google’s user data, with 39 percent of global requests coming from entities of the U.S. government.
The number of user data requests filed by U.S. authorities has steeply increased over the past three years: In the second half of 2012, Google received 8,438 requests from U.S. entities, more than twice as many as three years ago, when Google started sharing this information with the public.
- Google's revenue from 1st quarter 2008 to 4th quarter 2014 (in million U.S. dollars)
Google's quarterly revenue as 2008-2014
- Worldwide market share of leading search engines from January 2010 to October 2014
Global market share of search engines as of October 2014
- Number of available applications in the Google Play Store from December 2009 to July 2014
Google Play: number of available apps 2009-2014
- Google user data requests by U.S. federal authorities as of 1H 2014Google user data requests by U.S. federal authorities as of 1H 2014
- Facebook: user data requests from federal agencies and governments H1 2014Facebook: user data requests from federal agencies and governments H1 2014
- Number of governmental requests for Twitter user data in 2014Number of governmental requests for Twitter user data in 2014
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens