Facebook's Fourth Quarter Earnings
Facebook ended its first year as a public company with a solid holiday quarter. The company beat analyst expectations as it posted record revenue and returned to profitability.
Facebook’s fourth quarter revenue grew 40 percent to $1.59 billion. Mobile advertising accounted for 23 percent of ad revenues, up from 14 percent in the third quarter. A year ago, Facebook didn’t even serve ads to mobile devices; now these ads account for almost one fifth of the company’s total revenue. The decision to build a mobile ad business is also the main driver behind the reacceleration of Facebook’s revenue growth. The company’s rate of revenue growth had declined for six straight quarters before the introduction of mobile ads in 2012.
In the fourth quarter, Facebook returned to profitability, posting a modest profit of $64 million. However, CEO Mark Zuckerberg noted that short term profit growth is not a primary objective, as his company will continue to invest in future products to pursue long-term growth.
After a tumultuous year, Facebook’s shares ended 2012 on a positive note. By the end of the year, the stock was trading 50 percent above the all-time low it had hit in September. The stock continued to climb through January and is slowly approaching the IPO price of $38.
- iPadApple's iPad Business Continues to Slump
This chart shows Apple's quarterly iPad and iPhone sales since the iPad's release in 2010.
- GoogleGoogle Ads Are Getting Cheaper
This chart shows the year-over-year change of the average cost per click on Google ads.
- United StatesThe Richest Families in America
This chart shows the top 10 wealthiest families in the United States in 2014.
- Music IndustryStreaming Boom Stifles Music Downloads
This chart illustrates how streaming continues to grow, while things go downhill for basically every other way music distribution (except for good old vinyl).
- App DevelopersBritain's App Industry Is Ready for Takeoff
This chart shows the UK App Economy revenue forecast 2013-2025
- Leading product brands with the most fans on Facebook in July 2014 (in millions)
Most popular product brands on Facebook in July 2014
- Number of monthly active Facebook users worldwide from 3rd quarter 2008 to 2nd quarter 2014 (in millions)
Number of monthly active Facebook users worldwide as of 2nd quarter 2014
- Facebook's advertising revenue worldwide from 2012 to 2016 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Facebook: advertising revenue worldwide 2012-2016
- Maritim Hotel Group revenue 2010Maritim Hotel Group revenue 2010
- Market Research: Global distribution of revenues by method of surveyMarket Research: Global distribution of revenues by method of survey
- Limited-service hotel chains: average revenue per available room 2009Limited-service hotel chains: average revenue per available room 2009
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter