The Rise of Social Networking in the United States
When social networking in the United States started to take off halfway through the past decade, it was primarily younger Americans who became hooked.
In August 2006, 49 percent of American internet users aged 18-29 were social network users, as opposed to 8 percent of those aged 30-49 and only 4 percent of those aged 50-64.
Since then, social networking quickly gained popularity and became a true mass phenomenon. By the end of 2012, adoption among 30-49 year-olds had almost caught up with 18-29 year-olds, and almost a third of Americans aged 65 and older were social network users.
After an initial outcry by many who were shocked to find their parents on Facebook, it is now common for American families to stay in touch using social networks.
- Mobile CommunicationsWhatsApp Has 600m Users Now
This chart shows the number of monthly active WhatsApp users worldwide.
- Mobile App UsageThe Top 10 Apps in the States
This chart shows the top 10 mobile apps by unique visitors.
- HealthEverybody's Talking About Ice Bucketing
This chart gives an overview of the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge by the numbers
- WomenWomen Vastly Underrepresented In Silicon Valley Tech Jobs
This chart shows the percentage of female employees in the workforce of selected American tech companies.
- Social NetworksSnapchat More Popular Than Twitter Among Millennials
This chart shows the most popular social media apps among U.S. millennials in June 2014.
- Number of monthly active Facebook users worldwide from 3rd quarter 2008 to 2nd quarter 2014 (in millions)
Number of monthly active Facebook users worldwide as of 2nd quarter 2014
- Leading social networks worldwide as of June 2014, ranked by number of active users (in millions)
Global social networks ranked by number of users 2014
- Number of smartphone social network users in the United States from 2011 to 2017 (in millions)
Number of U.S. smartphone social network users 2011-2017
- Number of worldwide social network users 2010-2017Number of worldwide social network users 2010-2017
- Worldwide social network user growth 2011-2017Worldwide social network user growth 2011-2017
- Forecast: social network users in selected countries in 2011 and 2017Forecast: social network users in selected countries in 2011 and 2017
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter