The Rise of Social Networking in the United States
When social networking in the United States started to take off halfway through the past decade, it was primarily younger Americans who became hooked.
In August 2006, 49 percent of American internet users aged 18-29 were social network users, as opposed to 8 percent of those aged 30-49 and only 4 percent of those aged 50-64.
Since then, social networking quickly gained popularity and became a true mass phenomenon. By the end of 2012, adoption among 30-49 year-olds had almost caught up with 18-29 year-olds, and almost a third of Americans aged 65 and older were social network users.
After an initial outcry by many who were shocked to find their parents on Facebook, it is now common for American families to stay in touch using social networks.
- Number of monthly active Facebook users worldwide as of 1st quarter 2015 (in millions)
Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2015
- Leading social networks worldwide as of March 2015, ranked by number of active users (in millions)
Global social networks ranked by number of users 2015
- Number of social network users worldwide from 2010 to 2018 (in billions)
Number of global social network users 2010-2018
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens