The Global Tablet Market Grows 78% in 2012
This week, the mobile industry is gathering in Barcelona for the annual Mobile World Congress.
Device manufacturers, wireless carriers and app developers will come together with other industry insiders to discuss the current state of the mobile industry and to present what to expect in the near future.
Just in time for this event, IDC published a note last week that shows how well the mobile industry is currently doing. In 2012, global Smartphone shipments grew 46 percent to 722 million units, i.e. smartphone shipments more than tripled since 2009, when 174 million units were shipped. The tablet market too, did very well in the past year. Total shipments reached 128 million units, a 78 percent increase over 2011. The average selling price of tablets declined 15 percent to $461, mainly due to the success of lower-priced 7-inch tablets.
The PC industry continued to struggle in 2012. Shipments of laptop and desktop PCs declined 3 and 4 percent, respectively, as consumers are switching to mobile connected devices. Adding to the industry’s problems is the fact that update cycles are much longer for PCs than they are for smartphones. A new PC can probably serve an average user 5 years or longer, while smartphone vendors profit from 2-year update cycles and carrier subsidies. It is still too early to say if the tablet market can keep up the pace once it reaches a certain level of saturation, but it seems reasonable to assume that tablets carry a longer life cycle than smartphones typically do.
- Worldwide tablet shipments from 2nd quarter 2010 to 2nd quarter 2014 (in million units)
Worldwide tablet shipments 2010-2014, by quarter
- Global tablet shipments from 2010 to 2014, by operating system (in million units)
Global tablet shipments by operating system per quarter 2010-2014
- Global market share held by tablet operating systems from 2010 to 2014, by quarter
Global market share held by tablet operating systems 2010-2014, by quarter
- Forecast: global tablet sales Q1 2011- Q4 2012, by regionForecast: global tablet sales Q1 2011- Q4 2012, by region
- Apple vs. Samsung: U.S. smartphone market share Q1 2010-Q1 2012Apple vs. Samsung: U.S. smartphone market share Q1 2010-Q1 2012
- Smartphones: global market share forecast 2011-2017, by countrySmartphones: global market share forecast 2011-2017, by country
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens