Android Becomes Leading Tablet OS in 2013
Around 49 percent of all tablets shipped in 2013 will run Android OS, according to a recent forecast by IDC. This would rank Google’s operating system ahead of its major competitor, Apple’s iOS, for the very first time. In 2012, more than 50 percent of all tablets shipped were iPads.
In the future, it appears that the competition between Android and iOS will hit a stalemate. One reason for this may be, that Microsoft, competing with both Windows and Windows RT, will have a 10 percent share of the tablet market by 2017.
- TabletsThe iPad Still Dominates Tablet Usage
This chart shows the Top 8 tablet brands in North America, based on their share of tablet-based web usage in April 2014.
- TabletsThe Tablet Market Cooled Down in the First Quarter
This chart shows global tablet shipments by operating system.
- TabletsHow Different Tablet Users Spend Their Time
This chart shows the percentage of tablet owners in the U.S. who frequently use their devices for the following.
- App StoresiPad Owners Pay More than Twice as Much for Apps as iPhone Users
This chart shows average app prices in 2013.
- TabletsAndroid Blows Past iOS in Global Tablet Market
This chart shows worldwide tablet sales in 2012 and 2013, broken down by operating system.
- Worldwide tablet shipments from 2nd quarter 2010 to 1st quarter 2014 (in million units)
Worldwide tablet shipments 2010-2014, by quarter
- Global tablet shipments from 2010 to 2014, by operating system (in million units)
Global tablet shipments by operating system per quarter 2010-2014
- Global market share held by tablet operating systems from 2010 to 2014, by quarter
Global market share held by tablet operating systems 2010-2014, by quarter
- Apple iPad sales worldwide 2010-2014, by quarterApple iPad sales worldwide 2010-2014, by quarter
- Apple iPad - U.S. sales Q2 2010-Q2 2012Apple iPad - U.S. sales Q2 2010-Q2 2012
- Forecast: global tablet sales Q1 2011- Q4 2012, by regionForecast: global tablet sales Q1 2011- Q4 2012, by region
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter