iPhone versus Galaxy
48 million iPhones were sold in the fourth quarter of 2012 compared to 38 million Samsung Note, Note II, S II and S III devices. The figures for Samsung are based on an estimate by U.S. financial services firm Raymond James. So far, the South Korean company had managed to outshine its Cupertino competitor just once – in the third quarter of 2012. During that time period, the pace of iPhone sales had slowed as customers waited for the new iPhone 5.
Even though the distance between the two smartphone giants is considerable, it is becoming increasingly clear that Apple’s days of dominance have come to an end. Raymond James analyst Tavis McCourt even believes that Samsung will outperform Apple in the second quarter of 2013.
- TabletsThe iPad Still Dominates Tablet Usage
This chart shows the Top 8 tablet brands in North America, based on their share of tablet-based web usage in April 2014.
- SmartphonesPhablets Account for One Third of Global Smartphone Shipments
This chart shows a breakdown of global smartphone shipments in the first quarter of 2014 by screen size.
- AppleApple Got Sued the Most Over Patents Last Year
This chart shows U.S. patent-infringement suits filed against the following companies in 2013.
- AppleApple Got Sued 59 Times Over Patents Last Year
This chart ranks the companies that were sued the most for U.S. patent infringements in 2013.
- Smartphone market in ChinaDomestic Vendors Stand Strong in China's Smartphone Market
This chart shows smartphone market share figures for the Chinese market in Q1 2014.
- Cumulative number of apps downloaded from the Apple App Store from June 2008 to June 2014 (in billions)
Apple App Store: number of downloads as of June 2014
- Global smartphone shipments from 4th quarter 2009 to 1st quarter 2014, by vendor (in million units)
Global smartphone shipments by vendor 2009-2014
- Apple's iPhone revenue from 3rd quarter 2007 to 2nd quarter 2014 (in million U.S. dollars)
Apple iPhones: quarterly revenue Q3 2007-Q2 2014
- Global Apple iPhone sales Q3 2007-Q2 2014Global Apple iPhone sales Q3 2007-Q2 2014
- Smartphone battery life comparison 2013, by internet use minutesSmartphone battery life comparison 2013, by internet use minutes
- Apple iPhone sales in fiscal years 2007-2013Apple iPhone sales in fiscal years 2007-2013
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter