Even though online advertising takes up an increasingly large chunk of global advertising spending, it still lags behind traditional media in one key aspect: consumer trust.
While experts are busy arguing about when traditional TV should officially be declared dead, people continue to do what they have always done: they watch TV.
This chart shows the Pay-TV services American adults from different age groups subscribe to. While the majority of those aged 49 and older have a cable subscription, younger adults increasingly turn to Netflix, indicating that streaming services have a golden future ahead of them.
This chart shows worldwide coverage and the percentage increase in tobacco control policies.
This chart provides a geographic breakdown of Twitter's active user base. 24 percent of Twitter's users who actually tweet are located in the United States, Twitter's largest market by a wide margin.
Social networks such as Twitter and Facebook are not only used to connect with friends and acquaintances, but also to stay on top of the endless stream of news we are exposed to online. However, not every social network doubles as a news aggregator as this chart illustrates.
When Snapchat recently refused Facebook's $3 billion buyout offer, it also passed on the chance to become the biggest exit of an internet startup in the past decade. That crown belongs to Skype which was acquired by eBay for $2.56 billion in 2005.
Mobile phone users from the Asia-Pacific region consume the most data. Driven by entertainment applications such as YouTube, Youku and PPStream, the average mobile phone user in the region uses 1.1 GB of data per month.
We all interact with different kinds of media all day every day. But for most of us, it hasn't always been this way. Today's children grow up with an endless array of devices surrounding them and this chart illustrates how our youngest interact with media.
Whenever a Reddit user submits a link or votes up someone else's post on "the frontpage of the internet", he is awarded what Reddit calls Karma points. This chart shows the Top 10 redditors with the best chance of virtual afterlife happiness.
This chart shows that, despite all the functionality added over the years, people still use Facebook for the same reason that it was originally build for: to stay in touch with friends and family.
The Ellen Show is the most-followed brand on Instagram. According to analytics firm Nitrogram, the talk show hosted by comedian Ellen DeGeneres has 3.04 million followers, just edging out National Geographic at 3.03 million followers.
Facebook is no longer the most popular social network among American teens. According to Piper Jaffray's biannual survey among thousands of American teens, the world's largest social network has been replaced by Twitter as U.S. teenagers' favorite social platform.
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens