Pandora's Royalty Costs Continue to Outgrow Revenue
On December 4, Pandora, the popular internet radio, reported its third quarter results for fiscal year 2013.
Pandora had 62.4 million active listeners by the end of November, an increase of 45 percent over the same period last year. Listener hours during November amounted to 1.27 billion, up 58 percent from November 2011. Revenue grew 60 percent to $120 million. An impressive number if only content acquisition costs had not grown 75 percent during the same time. Pandora’s royalty costs have outpaced revenue growth for six consecutive quarters now, a fact that doesn’t bode well for the company’s future. For the past quarter, Pandora reported a net profit of $2 million, but announced an expected loss for the running quarter.
Pandora currently licenses music under the compulsory licensing provision of federal copyright law, which allows it to use any song but leads to royalty costs growing almost linearly with increasing listening hours. The company is currently fighting for the Internet Radio Fairness Act (IRFA), which would lower the amount of royalties that Pandora and other internet radio services pay to artists in the United States. In 2012, Pandora spent $160,000 on lobbying, but its support for the IRFA has hurt the company’s reputation within the music industry, as artists and labels are naturally opposing the controversial legislation.
If the IRFA does not get passed and royalty rates remain as they are now, it is hard to see Pandora making a sizeable profit anytime soon, as content acquisition costs will continue to eat up whatever revenue the company generates.
- Total worldwide prescription drug revenue growth - projection 2015-2020Total worldwide prescription drug revenue growth - projection 2015-2020
- Share of online radio listeners in the U.S. 2001-2015Share of online radio listeners in the U.S. 2001-2015
- Online radio reach in the U.S. in 2013, by typeOnline radio reach in the U.S. in 2013, by type
Entwicklung der Brutto- und Nettoumsätze mit Radiowerbung in Deutschland in den Jahren 2000 bis 2015 (in Millionen Euro)
Brutto- und Nettoumsätze mit Radiowerbung bis 2015
Entwicklung der Anzahl der öffentlich-rechtlichen und privaten Radiosender* in Deutschland in den Jahren 1987 bis 2016
Öffentlich-rechtliche und private Radiosender in Deutschland bis 2016
Entwicklung der durchschnittlichen täglichen Radiohördauer in Deutschland in den Jahren 1995 bis 2016 (in Minuten)
Tägliche Radiohördauer in Deutschland bis 2016
Anzahl der Paid Subscribers von Spotify von März 2011 bis März 2016 (in Millionen)
Anzahl der zahlenden Abo-Kunden von Spotify bis März 2016
Umsatz und Gewinn bzw. Verlust von Spotify in den Jahren 2008 bis 2015 (in Millionen Euro)
Umsatz und Jahresergebnis von Spotify weltweit bis 2015
Anzahl der Monthly Active Users (MAU) und Daily Active Users (DAU) der Spotify-App auf Facebook bis November 2015 (in Millionen)
Nutzer der Spotify-App auf Facebook bis November 2015
- Iron ore prices monthly 2015-2016Iron ore prices monthly 2015-2016
- Global IT spending forecast 2005-2020Global IT spending forecast 2005-2020
- China: leading online video platforms by unique visits as of June 26, 2016China: leading online video platforms by unique visits as of June 26, 2016
- Sales growth of top pharmaceutical therapeutic classes 2015Sales growth of top pharmaceutical therapeutic classes 2015
- Total revenue of the top mining companies 2002-2015Total revenue of the top mining companies 2002-2015
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens