Bike Sharing Takes Off
New York has become the latest city to launch a bike sharing scheme. The privately funded Citi Bike project involves 6,000 bikes and 330 docking stations spread across Manhattan and Brooklyn. The Big Apple is the most recent addition to a phenomenally successful idea that has spread like wildfire over the past decade.
3rd generation bike sharing solutions refer to systems incorporating modern technology, including bike racks that lock electronically, chip cards, the internet and smartphones. Back in 2002, a mere total of seven 3rd generation bike sharing services existed across the world. By 2007, this had grown to 62. By December 2012, this number had increased dramatically to 497.
Of this total, the vast majority of 3rd generation bike sharing schemes exist in Europe. However, the rest of the world is catching up quickly. Asia already has 90 while North America has 35. Australia/Oceania now has four bike sharing schemes while Africa still has some way to go – so far, there is just one service up and running in Africa.
Estimated size of the U.S. bicycle market* from 2002 to 2012 (in billion U.S. dollars)
U.S. bicycle market size 2002-2012
Distribution of U.S. bicycle sales in 2011, by source country
U.S. bicycle sales - by source country 2011
Projected worldwide sales of electric bicycles in 2018, by region (in million units)
E-bikes - worldwide sales by region 2018
Yes, please send me a daily reminder for the 'Chart of the Day'
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter