College enrollment in the United States from 1965 to 2011 and projections to 2021 for public and private colleges
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This graph shows the college enrollment for public and private schools in the United States from 1965 to 2011 with an additional forcast to 2021. In 2011, about 5.9 million students were enrolled in private colleges and 15.1 million in public colleges.
College enrollment in public and private institutions in the US
College enrollment in the United States has grown steadily from 1965 to 2011. In 2011, total enrollment was at an all time high of about 21 thousand students, about 15 thousand of whom enrolled at public institutions of higher education and about 5.9 thousand of whom enrolled at private institutions. Enrollment growth is projected to continue through 2021, with total college enrollment reaching 24 thousand students in both public and private institutions.
The landscape of US colleges and universities is diverse. In total, there were 4,600 institutions of higher education in the US in 2010. Institutions offering college education, or “postsecondary education,” vary greatly. Some institutions grant Associates degrees following two years of instruction. Undergraduate enrollment at 2-year postsecondary degree-granting institutions totaled about 8 thousand students in 2010. Other institutions offer Bachelors degrees upon the completion of a four-year course of study. Undergraduate enrollment at 4-year postsecondary degree-granting institutions reached about 10 thousand students in 2010. Universities, which offer graduate-level degrees, are often further distinguished from colleges, which offer only undergraduate (Bachelors) degrees. In 2010, the post-baccalaureate enrollment in the US reached just under 3 thousand students.
The statistic above refers to enrollment at degree-granting institutions of all types, distinguishing only between students enrolled at public and private institutions. Public institutions of higher education are funded and run by state-level government, while private institutions are not. Private institutions can be further distinguished as either for-profit or nonprofit, though that distinction is not made here. As of 2008/9, for-profit institutions accounted for only five percent of all Bachelor’s degrees granted.
- College enrollment rates amongst 20 to 24 year olds, by U.S. state 2010College enrollment rates amongst 20 to 24 year olds, by U.S. state 2010
- College enrollment rates amongst 18 to 19 year olds, by U.S. state 2010College enrollment rates amongst 18 to 19 year olds, by U.S. state 2010
- U.S. higher education enrollment rates 1970-2012, by age groupU.S. higher education enrollment rates 1970-2012, by age group
- School enrollment in public and private institutions in the U.S. 2012School enrollment in public and private institutions in the U.S. 2012
- U.S. public school enrollment numbers, by ethnicity 1990 to 2010U.S. public school enrollment numbers, by ethnicity 1990 to 2010
- Enrollment on journalism and mass communications programs in U.S. 1988-2013Enrollment on journalism and mass communications programs in U.S. 1988-2013
- Degrees granted on journalism and mass communications programs in U.S. 1988-2013Degrees granted on journalism and mass communications programs in U.S. 1988-2013
- Inactive labor force - seasonally adjusted monthly number in the U.S. July 2014Inactive labor force - seasonally adjusted monthly number in the U.S. July 2014
- Funding university in the United States - Statista Dossier 2013Funding university in the United States - Statista Dossier 2013
- Statistical overview of the number of students and education staff in the U.S.Statistical overview of the number of students and education staff in the U.S.
Report included in Corporate Account only
- Elementary schools in the U.S. - Statista Dossier 2013Elementary schools in the U.S. - Statista Dossier 2013
- Schools and education in England and the UK - Statista Dossier 2014Schools and education in England and the UK - Statista Dossier 2014
- Saving for college in the United States- Statista Dossier 2013Saving for college in the United States- Statista Dossier 2013
- Colleges and universities in the U.S. - Statista Dossier 2012Colleges and universities in the U.S. - Statista Dossier 2012
- Monthly family expenditure in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012-2013, by family typeMonthly family expenditure in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012-2013, by family type
- Satisfaction with gun policy in the US 2014Satisfaction with gun policy in the US 2014
- Scottish independence referendum voting intention August 2014Scottish independence referendum voting intention August 2014