Number of all hospitals in the U.S. from 1975 to 2012
Please log in if you already have an account.
|Number of hospitals|
Sign Up for Account
Sign Up for Account
This statistic shows the number of all hospitals in the United States from 1975 to 2012. In 1975, there were 7,156 hospitals in the United States.
Hospitals in the United States
Hospitals are healthcare institutions which provide treatment for patients and are one of the most important cornerstones of every modern healthcare system. In these facilities, specialized staff and equipment give the best possible care to patients. In the United States, most of the hospitals are non-profit facilities, while the rest are divided into for-profit or state/local government hospitals. Hospitals can be funded by several sources: the public sector, health organizations of all kinds, health insurance companies, charities, etc. Hospitals can often trace their roots back to religious orders or were founded by charitable individual sponsors.
The number of hospitals in the U.S. has shown a steady decline since 1975. However, since 2000, the number remains relatively stable between 5,700 and 5,800 facilities. These hospitals included more than 900,000 beds in 2011, a number that is significantly lower than the 1.5 million beds that were counted in 1975. In the United States, almost 39 million hospital stays were reported in 2011.
It is a small wonder that hospital costs make up a large portion of total U.S. healthcare expenditure. Roughly one third of the total healthcare costs were attributed to U.S. hospital care. On the other hand, the economic impact of U.S. hospitals cannot be underestimated. The health sector is one of the largest employers in the United States with more than six million people employed at U.S. hospitals, making it an eminent industry.
- U.S. hospital care expenditure 1960-2011U.S. hospital care expenditure 1960-2011
- U.S. Americans without health insurance 1990-2012U.S. Americans without health insurance 1990-2012
- U.S. Americans with health insurance 1990-2012U.S. Americans with health insurance 1990-2012
- Percentage of U.S. Americans covered by Medicare 1990-2012Percentage of U.S. Americans covered by Medicare 1990-2012
- Percentage of U.S. Americans covered by Medicaid 1990-2012Percentage of U.S. Americans covered by Medicaid 1990-2012
- McKesson Corporation's number of employees 2009-2014McKesson Corporation's number of employees 2009-2014
- Medtronic's number of employees 2006-2014Medtronic's number of employees 2006-2014
- Number of cannabis users worldwide by region 2007-2012Number of cannabis users worldwide by region 2007-2012
- Health insurance in the United States - Statista Dossier 2013Health insurance in the United States - Statista Dossier 2013
- Pregnancy - Statista Dossier 2014Pregnancy - Statista Dossier 2014
- Sleep disorders - Statista Dossier 2014Sleep disorders - Statista Dossier 2014
- U.S. health facts and figures 2013U.S. health facts and figures 2013
Report included in Corporate Account only
- Hospitals in the U.S. - Statista Dossier 2012Hospitals in the U.S. - Statista Dossier 2012
- Physicians in the U.S. - Statista Dossier 2013Physicians in the U.S. - Statista Dossier 2013
- Top-selling biotech drugs based on revenue 2013Top-selling biotech drugs based on revenue 2013
- Value of the global mHealth (mobile health) market 2012-2020Value of the global mHealth (mobile health) market 2012-2020
- Global death rate - leading causes 2011Global death rate - leading causes 2011