Number of movies released in the United States and Canada from 2001 to 2013
|Number of movies released|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
The statistic above presents data on movie releases in North America between 2001 and 2013. In 2012, 657 movies were released in the US and Canada.
Movies released in North America
The number of movies released in North America has increased since 2001, overall. In 2001, 482 movies were released. This number grew to a height of 631 movies by 2007, but then tumbled to just 521 movies in 2009 in response to the U.S. and global economic crisis. Since then, the industry has been rebounding, reaching its highest number of movie releases to date at 679 movies in 2013. Despite a fall in the number of films released in 2008 and 2009, the industry did not experience a decline in box office revenue. Box office revenue actually climbed from 9.6 billion U.S. dollars in 2008 to 10.6 billion U.S. dollars in 2009. Though movie theater attendance in the United States has trended downward since 2002, attendance bumped up in 2009 from 1.34 billion attendees in 2008 to 1.41 billion. Forty-six percent of surveyed Americans reported “almost never or never” going to see movies in a movie theater in July 2013.
Despite this surprising statistic, the North American movie industry is the largest in the world, accounting for roughly 35 percent of global filmed entertainment revenue in 2012. Filmed entertainment in the U.S. generated 30.7 billion U.S. dollars in 2012 and is project to reach 36.4 billion by 2017. The 650 films released in the U.S. and Canada in 2012, generated 10.8 billion U.S. dollars in box office revenue. Among the top releases at the box office that year were “Marvel’s The Avengers,” “The Dark Knight Rises,” “The Hunger Games,” and “Skyfall.” Of the leading film studios in the USA, the greatest number of films, 19 total, were released by Sony, which accounted for around 17 percent of the North American box office that year. Sixteen films were released by Universal, earning the company over 1.3 billion dollars at the box office.
- 10 most valuable North American brands 2010-201210 most valuable North American brands 2010-2012
- Advertising response in North America in Q1 2013, by mediumAdvertising response in North America in Q1 2013, by medium
- North American digital ad spending per internet user 2010-2016North American digital ad spending per internet user 2010-2016
- Number of TV households in North America from 2010 to 2016Number of TV households in North America from 2010 to 2016
- Highest grossing UK films at the box office in North America 2013Highest grossing UK films at the box office in North America 2013
- Weekend box office revenue in the United Kingdom (UK) August 22-24, 2014Weekend box office revenue in the United Kingdom (UK) August 22-24, 2014
- China: weekly box office revenue - August 18 to August 24, 2014China: weekly box office revenue - August 18 to August 24, 2014
- Weekend box office revenue - August 22-24, 2014Weekend box office revenue - August 22-24, 2014
- Market Research: Global distribution of revenues by method of surveyMarket Research: Global distribution of revenues by method of survey
- Reasons for declining magazine readership in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012Reasons for declining magazine readership in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012
- Distribution of U.S. advertising spending in 2012, by mediumDistribution of U.S. advertising spending in 2012, by medium