Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Leading cinema circuits in the United States and in Canada as of July 2013, by number of screens
|Number of screens|
|Regal Entertainment Group||7,318|
|AMC Entertainment Inc.||4,988|
|Cinemark USA, Inc.||4,434|
|Carmike Cinemas, Inc.||2,476|
|Cineplex Entertainment LP||1,672|
|Marcus Theatres Corp.||687|
|Bow Tie Cinemas||388|
|Georgia Theatre Company||326|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
The graph shows leading cinema circuits in North America as of July 2013, ranked by number of screens. Harkins Theatres ranked seventh with 440 screens.
Leading movie theaters in the U.S. – additional information
The first in the ranking is the Regal Entertainment Group with 7.32 thousand screens across the United States. The company was established in 1989 and is headquartered in Knoxville, Tennessee. It operates such movie theater brands as Regal Cinemas, Edwards Theaters, and United Artists Theatres. Regal Entertainment Group generated over three billion U.S. dollars of revenue in 2013, up from 2.82 billion a year earlier. The attendance at Regal Cinemas grew as well, increasing by more than 12 million visitors in the same time period.
Ranked second for number of screens is the AMC Entertainment Incorporated with nearly five thousand screens. The company made headlines in May 2012, when it was announced that the Chinese conglomerate Dalian Wanda Group would buy the chain for about 2.6 billion U.S. dollars. The acquisition was completed in September 2012. AMC Entertainment was founded as AMC Theaters in 1920 and is currently headquartered in Leawood, Kansas. The chain’s 2013 revenue amounted to 2.75 billion U.S. dollars, up from 2.52 in the previous full fiscal year. Attendance grew from 194.21 to 199.27 million between 2012 and 2013.
Cinemark USA, the third largest chain, had 4.34 thousand screens in the United States as of July 2013. The chain is owned by Cinemark Holdings, Inc. which operates in Taiwan and Latin America in addition to its U.S. business. The company was founded in 1984 and is currently based out of Plano, Texas. Cinemark’s revenue showed steady growth between 2006 and 2013, when the revenue more than doubled from 1.22 billion to 2.68 billion U.S. dollars. Attendance has increased as well, but not quite as spectacularly as the company’s growth in revenue.
- Number of 3D cinema screens worldwide in 2013Number of 3D cinema screens worldwide in 2013
Number of 3D cinema screens worldwide from 2006 to 2013
- Leading cinema chains in the United Kingdom (UK) 2013, by market share+Leading cinema chains in the United Kingdom (UK) 2013, by market share
Leading cinema exhibitor chains in the United Kingdom (UK) in 2013, ranked by market share based on revenue
- Leading cinema chains in the United Kingdom (UK) in 2013, by box office revenue+Leading cinema chains in the United Kingdom (UK) in 2013, by box office revenue
Leading cinema exhibitor chains in the United Kingdom (UK) in 2013, by box office revenue (in million GBP)
- 3D cinema screens in Japan: projected penetration rate 2010-2015+3D cinema screens in Japan: projected penetration rate 2010-2015
Projected penetration rate of 3-D screens in Japan from 2010 to 2015
- Average ticket price at Regal cinemas from 2006 to 2013+Average ticket price at Regal cinemas from 2006 to 2013
Average ticket price at Regal cinemas from 2006 to 2013 (in U.S. dollars)
- Bollywood: highest grossing movies in IndiaBollywood: highest grossing movies in India
- China: weekly box office revenue - December 8 to 14, 2014China: weekly box office revenue - December 8 to 14, 2014
- Weekend box office revenue - December 12-14, 2014Weekend box office revenue - December 12-14, 2014
- Reasons for declining magazine readership in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012Reasons for declining magazine readership in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012
- Time spent with media in the U.S. 2013, by age and typeTime spent with media in the U.S. 2013, by age and type
- MMO games market revenue worldwide 2013-2017, by typeMMO games market revenue worldwide 2013-2017, by type